2009 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
• The Timberwolves brought a number of guards in over the weekend, including Flynn, Evans, Jennings, Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson and Jeff Teague.

From what I gather, Evans won some hearts in Minnesota and Flynn stole a few as well. As for Jennings, it sounds like they'll pass.

• The Suns also had a big workout this weekend: Earl Clark, James Johnson and Jennings were joined by Calathes, Jack McClinton and Jonas Jerebko.

It sounds as though a number of players played well, and it appears that Clark and Johnson are in a dead heat in Phoenix at the moment -- that is, unless someone else in the top 12 falls to Phoenix at No. 14.

As for Jennings. One Suns source said he was good, but skeptical. "I hope he doesn't fall to us at 14. I don't want to have to make a decision on him."

• More big workouts are coming early this week.

The Knicks are bringing back Jrue Holiday. There's a good chance it will be Holiday versus Jennings for the No. 8 pick if Curry, Evans and Jordan Hill are off the board.

Milwaukee has a big point guard workout with Flynn, Teague, Jennings and Lawson. The Bucks' workouts should help them decide who they take at No. 10.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why is Calathes working out for teams if he's gonna play overseas?

But if Hill and Evans are off the board then I wouldnt be upset about Holiday or Jennings.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The second concept would have former Sixers center Nazr Mohammed and big shooter Vladimir Radmanovic coming for Dalembert and a swap of first-round picks (Charlotte has the 12th selection). Not bad, although: 1) Mohammed can’t play, which means the Sixers would be putting all of their chips on 7-footer Jason Smith suddenly emerging as a capable center after missing all of last season; and 2) Radmanovic is basically another Kapono.
Get it done ed...

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As messy as the rest of the top five sounds, Sacramento’s situation might be the most confusing. It’s looking more and more clear that the Kings are not nearly as enamored with Ricky Rubio as they once were, for a number of reasons. The official party line is that Sacramento is concerned that Rubio will struggle to assert his leadership ability on the group of players they currently have in place, due to the fact that he’s only 18 years old and not a native English speaker. One of the biggest issues Sacramento had last year was with the culture of their team lockerroom. On top of that, the Kings are worried that will Rubio will have a huge target on his chest coming into the NBA, and that other players will “try to go at him every single night.”

-B.J. Mullens worked out for the Philadelphia 76ers (#17) on Sunday, and is scheduled to work out for Chicago (#16) on Tuesday. While many NBA teams we spoke with have picked up on the rumor that he may have a promise from Detroit at 15, things don’t really seem to add up here. If anything, the Pistons seem to be most interested in Earl Clark, and have reportedly told him as much, as have the Phoenix Suns, drafting 14th. On the other hand, Detroit continues to be very active in trade-talk, though, and could very well decide to move the pick, which would make all of this moot. Would Mullens really turn down his Green Room invite if he definitely knew he was going 15th? Clark on the other hand just passed up a workout with Chicago this week in order to be with his newborn baby, as he seems to be feeling very good about where’s currently at in this draft.
-Golden State appears to be exploring possibilities to improve on the defensive end in hopes of making a strong run to the playoffs next season. One trade that has reportedly been offered by the Charlotte Bobcats that may help on that front would involve packaging Kelenna Azubuike and Marco Belinelli in exchange for Raja Bell. The Warriors are pondering the offer, but would have to get Azubuike’s consent to make the trade unless they decided to wait until July 24th.

The wildcard in all this are the Minnesota Timberwolves, who could throw a wrench in things by trading up to #2 to take Ricky Rubio. Sources say that Rubio’s camp has warmed up significantly to David Kahn and the Timberwolves organization as of late, and that they would not be opposed to him landing there. The catch is that the rookie scale salary slot of the #6 pick would not be sufficient in terms of satisfying Rubio’s gigantic buyout from DKV Joventut, so Kahn would have to trade into the top three to make that happen.

At this point, Kahn is holding firm on not putting Kevin Love on the table for the right to move up in the draft, and is instead trying to acquire another pick to entice Memphis to swap with them. As other media outlets have reported, they are targeting Washington’s #5 pick, but are only offering some combination of Randy Foye, Mike Miller and the #18 pick, which probably won’t get it done.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hmmmm some pretty interesting rumors.

I like the GOlden State/Charlotte deal, I think that would help both teams. Azubuike pwns.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BTW, a guy on the radio from Draft Express and Mark Stein later confirmed later in the program, the Mavs have a shortlist of 3-4 guys they are looking at #22 and if they see 2 go early they won't be afraid to move up.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
DeAndre is gonna be pretty good.

who else thinks Thabeet has bust written all over him?
I can't believe he's gonna be a top 5 pick. amazing. he's a 2nd round talent, maybe late 1st IMO

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
http://www.nbadraft.net/node/7629

Competitors:

1. Tyler Hansbrough
2. Blake Griffin
3. Jonny Flynn
4. Stephen Curry
5. Brandon Jennings

Warriors/Toughness:

1. Blake Griffin
2. DeJuan Blair
3. Tyler Hansbrough
4. Jeff Adrien
5. Sam Young

Big Personalities:

1. DeJuan Blair
2. Hasheem Thabeet
3. Brandon Jennings
4. Terrence Williams
5. James Harden

Those are the ones I care about

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Speed:

1. Patty Mills
2. Josh Akognon
3. Brandon Jennings
4. Darren Collison
5. Ty Lawson

Ball Handlers:

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Brandon Jennings
3. Jeff Teague
4. Patrick Mills
5. Jonny Flynn

Woo!

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
posted 2 weeks ago

honestly watch that, tell me how you don't laugh

but i'm wondering how are they going to do it this year if he doesnt work for espn anymore

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
jay bilas annoys me

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A source close to Sacramento Kings general manager Geoff Petrie informed me on Monday that Petrie is leaning towards passing on Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio as the fourth overall selection in Thursday's NBA Draft.

"Petrie is scared to death of him," the source said. "Rubio is dropping like a fly."

The Kings are in desperate need of a point guard to complement Kevin Martin in the backcourt. Memphis' Tyreke Evans dazzled Sacramento recently in a workout but Evans' combo guard ability replicate a great deal of the skillset that Martin already possesses.

With all that said, the signs are starting to point to Syracuse's Jonny Flynn heading to the Kings at No. 4. Flynn doesn't have great size for a point guard at 6-0, but still has the leadership and charisma that could single handedly lead a franchise.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Flynn looks like a safe pick.
would normally be a reach at 4 IMO, but this draft is meh

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i'm getting sick of this draft

i jsut hope i see a million trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%