Dallas Mavericks Fire Avery Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
But couldn't a coach stay with the team and progress (And get better?), like players in the league do?
Yes, which is exactly why they shouldn't of fired him..

Unless you were talking to Maple.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yes, which is exactly why they shouldn't of fired him..

Unless you were talking to Maple.
Actually if you were talking to Mark Cuban and 75% of the Mavericks fans.... they wanted him gone halfway through the season. And the tension between Cuban and the fans versus Avery only grew more and more.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Out with the old, in with the new. JH5 should stay. They HAVE to get rid of Stack and Jones. They need a big. Dampier or Allen just don't cut it, and Bass isn't tall enough to play C all the time. Getting rid of Jet might not be a bad thing, but he's a a very good shooter and can hit the shots that Dirk misses.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They are going to need to wait till Kidd calls it quits before they start to make any major moves IMO.

Cause I think they need to move Kidd now lol.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Me to. I never understand when people give up good young players still on the rise, for old worn down players who are definetly on their way down.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Out with the old, in with the new. JH5 should stay. They HAVE to get rid of Stack and Jones. They need a big. Dampier or Allen just don't cut it, and Bass isn't tall enough to play C all the time. Getting rid of Jet might not be a bad thing, but he's a a very good shooter and can hit the shots that Dirk misses.
I agree with some of it. stack and Jones have to go, no doubt about it. Both have 1 year on there contract left but we want them off NOW. Dampier will be hard to get rid of with that contract, Allen was actually pretty solid with his shot off the bench. I actually like him off the bench. Bass and Dirk were the only ones who actually showed heart along with Jason Terry in that series against the Hornets.

The thing about JET, he is more then just a shooter. He could be debated as a leader on this team. He's like the spark, the Barbosa or Manu. The one who is instant offense. And Dallas loves him. If you've seen a home playoff game you always see JET pumping up the Mavs fans.

Thing about JH5, I loved him... but I think that we could get more pieces and more scoring options. Plus he really showed he didn't want it. I mean throwing a B-Day party after game 4 loss....admitting use of marjuanna right before the series. And then following up by shooting under 30% for the series. IDK I am probably just overreacting because he has been a cancer the past couple of weeks, but I think we could get some real value out of him.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Me to. I never understand when people give up good young players still on the rise, for old worn down players who are definetly on their way down.
Because we feel our time to win the championship is right now. And we also feel like that was as good as Devin Harris was going to get. A 15-6 guy. Trust me, I love Devin, still do. But I was so excited to get a PG who would make things easier. Unfortunatly things didn't because Avery didn't let really Kidd run the team like Kidd usually runs his teams.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
True true. JH5 was a disappointment in the series, and I bet they could get some pretty good pieces for him.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also Kidd only has 1 more year left on his contract. Basically if we keep this team we have going into next year, we will have a lot of expirings on our team after next year.

Kidd could walk this year but he is guaranteed 21 million coming back for one more year with the Mavs, and I doubt anyone would offer him that kind of money.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I still think it's way to early to judge the Kidd trade. Wait till next year whenever we have a new offense and a new system...hopefully a system that allows Kidd to operate like he has his whole career.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
At his age, not really likely IMO. But that's just what I think..He doesn't seem athletic enough to stay around at a consistant level.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
But look at what Kidd does, he doesn't really need to be a tremendous athlete...he just needs to run (jog) up the floor and pass it to an open man.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
But look at what Kidd does, he doesn't really need to be a tremendous athlete...he just needs to run (jog) up the floor and pass it to an open man.
Exactly, Kidd is his best at doing that. But under Avery's system, with isolation being run all the time, we were forced to go to a halfcourt style which has never been Kidd's marquee

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
True, but in that case he's just an average point guard. He's not really a superstar anymore.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not in this league. He's above average for sure. Look at most PGs, can they create an offense like Kidd? Or get as many assists? Or rebounds? Kidd is not average.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Still top 5 PG. East starting PG. I mean he was averaging 11 PPG, 10 APG, 8 RPG, 2 SPG before heading to Dallas. He's never been a tremendous scorer.

Just under the system we were playing in he was schooled by CP3, and Deron.

But I think if it was NAsh and Kidd, I would pay to see that, I think that would be even

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I mean't saying that with his age as a factor, this or next year he will be just an average point guard.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Eh...you can still pass and hustle (to get rebounds) when your older. Passing doesn't really take much, just eyes and brains.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well only time will tell, quite a dumb topic to argue if you ask me lol.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not really. I mean don't you know 34+ year olds who can dribble up a bball court and make some pretty good passes??? I know I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%