#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Discuss.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There's no doubt how important a pass rush is to a team & there's no doubt Mario Williams is progressing into an eventual All-Pro Defensive end.

However...

Given the state of New Orleans following the Hurricane, the city was in need of a reason to put a lot of sh*t aside and go watch Saints football. Drafting Reggie Bush was like sending a shock-wave through the city.

Bush gave their fans something to get excited about and for the first time in a long time...the Saints had a playmaker.

Reggie Bush is one of the most marketable players and has become a poster-boy since.

I think for what Reggie Bush has done for his team in comparison to what Williams has done for Houston...Bush has been the more valuable pick when taking everything into consideration.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I believe Reggie is more valuable to the Saints.
This year he has been doing great and now living to expectations.
Having great runs and returns.
Plus he can line up as a Wide out.

eLeMeNOhPe

Reaction score
There's no doubt how important a pass rush is to a team & there's no doubt Mario Williams is progressing into an eventual All-Pro Defensive end.

However...

Given the state of New Orleans following the Hurricane, the city was in need of a reason to put a lot of sh*t aside and go watch Saints football. Drafting Reggie Bush was like sending a shock-wave through the city.

Bush gave their fans something to get excited about and for the first time in a long time...the Saints had a playmaker.

Reggie Bush is one of the most marketable players and has become a poster-boy since.

I think for what Reggie Bush has done for his team in comparison to what Williams has done for Houston...Bush has been the more valuable pick when taking everything into consideration.
Well said! I also think they still aren't using Reggie Bush right, they want to, they try to, but something isn't working. He isn't going to be a RB only threat, he is just a playmaker threat. Once they figure it out, he'll be a beast.

Mario Williams IS a beast though, in terms of on the field, Mario Williams WAS the better draft pick, but as AE said, off the field, Reggie has done a lot for the city of New Orleans.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mario Williams is the best defensive end on the NFL, when considering ability (top 5), and age/potential. One could argue that alongside Demeco Ryans and a rookie Okoye, Mario was almost single handily why the Texans did very well last year and had fairly high expectations for this season.

With that said, would he be a better pick if the Saints got him? No. The Saints have Charles Grant and Will Smith on the ends - probably one of the most reliable pair of ends in the NFL in terms of year in - year out production.

Would Reggie Bush have been a better pick for Houston? That's arguable. One could argue that the Texans did not have a real runningback all of last year, and the year before, etc. But who can say that is more important than a perennial pro bowler on a porous defense, Mario Williams, is less valuable? Reggie Bush is a big play threat but, quite frankly, I would go as far to say that as far as a RUNNINGBACK goes, he is a bust.

He averages 3.6 yards per carry. 'Nuf said. I'm well aware of his receiving numbers, but I think that's more of a compliment to Drew Brees than Reggie Bush. Bush gets 75+ receptions, because Brees is an excellent QB. Bush with all those receptions still got about 500 receiving yards last year - mediocre.

I've heard the argument that "500 rec yards is good for a RB!!!". False. Why? If you are judging him as a runningback when talking about rec yards, then let's be fair and judge him as a runningback where it matters more - running the ball. 3.6 yards per carry does not cut it.

Calling him a bust might be a bit harsh, but I don't think he's as great as people hype him out to be. After reading this little rant, maybe you'll agree.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I voted Mario due to the fact that his numbers are more advanced at this stage in their careers.

Like Yanks said, though, NO didn't need Mario in that draft - Houston did. Bush still has to compete with the Deuce in NO, too.

and, it's not just cuz I'm in Houston.. cuz I was SOOOOOOOOOO pissed when the Texans passed on Bush

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Mario is better, Bush is more valuable. At this point in their careers, it still might be too early to say.

hitman99

Reaction score
I'd have to say that both picks were the best for each team at that moment in time but the better pick was Mario Williams. I hear a lot about how Reggie Bush ignited the city after Hurricane Katrina but I have to say that without Drew Brees it wouldn't have mattered. Bush isn't a true RB and I don't think he could ever be so really what the Saints have is a marketable Dante Hall or Az-ah Hakim in all reality.

Mario is a beast at DE and he is a game changer that reminds me of Reggie White. New Orleans wasn't that bad when Bush got on it but Houston was and he has helped the defense out...now only if the offense would work for them

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
thats the issue, Bush may have ignited that offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%