Who wants Amare? How about Shaq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score

NETS: Yi Jianlian, Stromile Swift, Ryan Anderson, Jarvis Hayes and a No. 1 pick

Why they'd do it:
The Nets could be immediate contenders again with a team of Devin Harris, Vince Carter, Brook Lopez and Amare. And if they end up finding a new home for Vince Carter at the trade deadline or this summer (word is the Spurs are interested), the Nets might have the opportunity in 2010 to offer LeBron James a chance to play with Harris, Amare and Lopez.

The Suns would get a young big with a bright future in Yi plus another first-round pick -- either the Nets' pick this year, or the one Dallas owes the Nets in 2010. They would also clear about $12 million off their cap next year when Swift, Ager and Hayes all come off the books.

Why they wouldn't: It's hard to imagine that New Jersey wouldn't do it. Amare can come off the books in 2010, meaning that New Jersey could still pursue LeBron and other free agents then, even if they make the trade. In the meantime, they would be relevant again.

For the Suns, the question would be, is this enough to get for Amare? Yi is a talent and the pick would be nice. But is there a better trade to be made?

BULLS: Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, Cedric Simmons and Drew Gooden

Why they'd do it: For the Bulls, this is likely a no-brainer. They've needed a frontcourt presence like Amare for years. Although he's not the classic low-post banger or rebounder that would be ideal for Chicago, he's great in the open floor and looks like a perfect complement to Derrick Rose and Luol Deng.

For the Suns, this trade would save them nearly $9 million next season and give them two young players with potential. Although neither Thomas nor Sefolosha has shined the way the Bulls had envisoned when they drafted them, their defensive abilities and athleticism would be welcome in Phoenix.

Why they wouldn't: Coach Vinny Del Negro spent several years in the Phoenix front office before taking the job in Chicago. He knows Amare and might be steering GM John Paxson away from acquiring him.

This deal wouldn't give the Suns much in the way of cap savings. They might want to deal with a team that can save them more money down the road.

KNICKS: David Lee, Nate Robinson and Stephon Marbury

Why they'd do it:
The Knicks want to lure LeBron to New York and have planned on trying to add two superstars in the summer of 2010. If they can get one now … why not do it? Adding Stoudemire to the mix would electrify the fan base in New York, and you know Mike D'Antoni knows how to get the best out of Amare. To make this deal work under the cap, the Suns would have to include Barbosa. But no worries, the Knicks need guards, too.

Lee is the type of player Kerr is looking for. He rebounds, plays defense, hustles on every play and is still young. Obviously, the Suns would waive Marbury quickly to end his second stop in Phoenix and be able to drop $10-12 million in payroll next summer.

Why they wouldn't:
If the Knicks add Barbosa and Stoudemire, they would have room to pursue LeBron in the summer of 2010 but no one else. Are they really ready to put all their eggs in that one basket?

As for the Suns, if money is the main issue, will they be able to keep Lee and Robinson? Both are restricted free agents this summer, and Lee, especially, likely will command a rich deal … perhaps too rich for Sarver's wallet.

HEAT: Michael Beasley and Shawn Marion

Why they'd do it:
It sounds strange to hear of the Heat potentially doing a second-straight trade deadline deal with Phoenix, especially since it involves sending Marion back to the Suns, but this time Miami would get what it really wants, a young big to pair with Dwyane Wade. Wade and Stoudemire would be probably the most athletic tandem in the league and great cornerstones for the franchise.

The Suns could let Marion's large contract expire, then try out Beasley in Stoudemire's place. Beasley is an incredible talent and probably the best prospect they could get for Stoudemire.

Why they wouldn't: It's hard to see what would stop the Heat from pulling the trigger. The deal would almost be too good to be true. The biggest downside is that the Heat would have to take back Alando Tucker and Goran Dragic to make the salaries work.

For the Suns, it's not a bad deal if Beasley's as good as everyone thought he was coming out of college.

THUNDER: Jeff Green, Joe Smith and Desmond Mason

Why they'd do it: The Thunder have been methodically collecting assets and expiring contracts. But even though Oklahoma City will have lots of cap room this summer, will anyone want to go there?

Adding Stoudemire to the mix would immediately jump-start the fledgling franchise. The potential of a core of Stoudemire, Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook would be, in a word, awesome.

Green would be the draw for Phoenix. Although not everyone in the league is in love with Green, but after Beasley, Green might be the best young player the Suns could get in a Stoudemire trade. And the expiring contracts of Smith and Mason would allow the Suns to clear another $10 million off their cap this summer.

Why they wouldn't: The Thunder would struggle to re-sign Stoudemire in 2010, especially if they weren't a contender by then. If a big-market team such as the Knicks or Heat came courting, OKC could lose him for nothing, setting back the franchise.

The Suns like Green, but is he enough? He's been frustratingly inconsistent and just doesn't look like the type of player you can build around.

PISTONS: Amir Johnson and Rasheed Wallace

Why they'd do it:
Joe Dumars has the best track record in the league of rehabilitating players other teams have given up on. Under his wing, Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace thrived. Could he do the same for Stoudemire? Add Amare to young gun Rodney Stuckey and great team players such as Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince, and the Pistons are a force again in the East.

The Suns get Wallace's expiring contract, plus they get Johnson, a young big with a ton of potential.

Why they wouldn't: If they stand pat, the Pistons potentially will have $20 million under the cap this summer with little competition for big-time free agents. If Amare were to bolt Detroit in 2010 or fail to fit in, the Pistons would have swung and missed on their best chance to build another contender.

The Suns wouldn't be getting much here. Wallace comes off the books this summer, but is Johnson good enough to be a difference-maker? He's been a little ordinary in Detroit this year, raising the question, how much longer can we focus on his "potential" and wait for it to be realized?

CAVS: J.J. Hickson and Wally Szczerbiak

Why they'd do it: The Cavs have been trying to land another star in Cleveland to play alongside LeBron James. Stoudemire would be a grand slam for them.

The Suns would get back $13 million in cap relief and land a young power forward many NBA scouts are very high on. Hickson hasn't done much yet, but many scouts see him as a potential star big man.

Why they wouldn't: Coach Mike Brown is committed to defense. Amare isn't. I wonder how that would work out.

The Suns wouldn't be getting a sure thing in exchange for Stoudemire. As desperate as they might be to turn the team around, are they really that desperate?

GRIZZLIES: Mike Conley, Hakim Warrick and Darko Milicic

Why they'd do it: The Grizzlies desperately need a power forward to pair with Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo. Stoudemire would give them three of the best young players in the league and bring real hope to Memphis.

The Suns would come away with some talent, although they would undoubtedly try to get the Grizzlies to put Gay in the deal. Conley could be the eventual heir to Steve Nash at the point, Warrick is a solid role player and Milicic can block shots and rebound when he's healthy.

Why they wouldn't: It's hard to imagine Memphis re-signing Stoudemire in the summer of 2010, given its reputation for being reluctant to spend. So trading Conley, Warrick and Milicic is one thing; gambling Gay to rent Stoudemire for a season and a half is a risk the Grizzlies are unlikely to take.

The Suns, meanwhile, want salary-cap relief as part of a return package for Stoudemire and this deal offers the least of any listed here. Only Warrick's contract comes off the books this summer.

LAKERS: Lamar Odom, Chris Mihm and D.J. Mbenga

Why they'd do it: Yes, the breakup between the Lakers and Shaq was messy. But Phil Jackson has always loved Shaq, and with Andrew Bynum out for a while, L.A. could use someone who could step in and play immediately in the middle. Besides, it would be the best story of the year.

The Suns need cap space, and this deal would save them a whopping $21 million next year after all the expiring contracts in the deal come off the books

Why they wouldn't: The Shaq-Kobe dynamic could capsize the season, especially if their interpersonal drama is re-ignited. Whenever Bynum returns from being injured, there would be a serious logjam in the middle.

And things are going pretty well for the Lakers. Do they need to make this drastic a move?

There would be no downside for the Suns. In fact, I think they'll move Shaq to any team that can give them cap space -- even the Lakers. And yes, this is an admission that, on second thought, that Shaq deal wasn't such a great move.

MAVERICKS: Jason Kidd

Why they'd do it: The Mavs want to be relevant again, and adding Shaq in the middle could help. He's having an All-Star year, and the Mavs can surround him with shooters. Although Kidd has played well, he's not the player he was, and Jason Terry could take over in his stead.

The Suns would be getting $21 million of cap room. And how would they handle the awkward situation of having both Kidd and Nash again? Probably by waiving Kidd.

Why they wouldn't: Mark Cuban's pockets aren't as deep as they used to be. Adding Shaq would cost him roughly $40 million next year after factoring in the luxury tax hit. That's a lot of cash.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

ESPN.com

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah I just read this.

You can take all the West teams out of the equation. I believe they don't want to trade in-conference.
For Amare at least.

Detroit please :]

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ship Amare to Jersey

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I like those new jersey and Miami deals for phx.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
The only worthy offers to Suns would be the Heat's offer and Net's offers. All the other ones are garbadge.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Nets, Heats and Pistons have the best offers.
I think a duo of Sheed and Shaq would scare people from going into the lane, and I think Sheed would go in the paint more.

But don't get me wrong, I am no way shape or form saying that the Pistons offers is great.

Although I doubt the Suns will take back Shawn, and I don't hink they'll trade to the West so Detroit does have a good chance.. err I hope.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I read a rumor of a possible 3 team deal with Detroit, Phoenix, and Toronto.
Phoenix gets Sheed
Toronto gets Amare
Detroit gets Bosh

Prince was also involved. I assume it was total BS.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well all 3 are said to be on the block. It was worth a shot :p

PiStoL31PeTe

Baller For Life
Reaction score
I don't think Miami will do a trade with Phoenix maybe with Detroit

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If you think about it, Detroit really can put together the best deal. Suns want an expiring and a young big man. We have both, plus many 2nd round picks. And I think Rasheed will still allow them to compete this year, maybe even on a greater scale. He will be allowed to shoot all he wants in the West.

dlc7619

Reaction score
he isnt going anywhere to valuable to the suns. Shaq will go first

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I read a rumor of a possible 3 team deal with Detroit, Phoenix, and Toronto.
Phoenix gets Sheed
Toronto gets Amare
Detroit gets Bosh

Prince was also involved. I assume it was total BS.
Yes it is fake.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Update

As we all know, the Bulls and Suns have had lengthy discussions about a possible trade that would send All Star big man Amare Stoudemire to Chicago. The Bulls are very much in the running to land Stoudemire, as GM John Paxson is willing to package just about any deal mutliple players involved to get him, except for Derrick Rose of course. One scenario that is very possible and has been discussed the most would be a deal that would send Drew Gooden, Tyus Thomas, Thabo Sefoloshia and a 1st round pick to the Suns in exchange for Stoudemire. However, Steve Kerr would like Joakim Noah added to the deal as well. Phoenix will continue to talk with other teams to see if they can either find a better deal, or wait and see if the Bulls will add Noah to the trade. The Bulls want Stoudemire so much, that adding Noah may just happen. Even then, the ball will still be in the Suns court as they have multiple teams to work with and several deals to weigh out, the highest bidder will win.

http://www.rumorpress.net/

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
oh lawd

robin lopez and noah on the same team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%