Trade Deadline Deals?

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
They are also trying to package Ian Kennedy with Davis as well.

Also, apparently Nationals have expressed interest in Bautista. 

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
You don't trade top prospects for a 30 y/o catcher that will be a 1B in a year or two

Cleveland did the better move 7 years ago by trading away VMart for prospects (didn't pan out but they could have), and they shouldn't trade anybody of super significant value for Lucroy.

Why do you think he'll be a 1B in a year or two?

Senators26

Reaction score
BrewCrewFan said:

Because that's what catcher's do. It's hard kneeling down like that for a couple hours every day, they eventually have to give it up to prolong their career.

videofreak8

Melted
Reaction score
BrewCrewFan said:
Other then his knees wearing out, if he went to Cleveland he'd probably be the 1B next year. Napoli has all but hit himself out of our price range and I doubt the Dolans would want to chalk up 12M+ for a 35 year old.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As I pointed out earlier, they're most likely going to start transitioning Brantley to 1B soon. It's inevitable. 

videofreak8

Melted
Reaction score
elcheato said:
and with his injury problems, it's almost a guarantee that Brantley will shift over to 1B next season, or at the very least soon after, which is fine since its doubtful Napoli returns.
Is that just a personal opinion or something you've heard about? Because I haven't seen any indication that we plan on moving him out of the outfield. I understand his shoulder is an issue but he is one of the best defensive outfielders in the majors imo.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He is mediocre in left field, and yes, the shoulder is a huge concern now. And while it's not major experience, he does have some experience playing first in the minors back with the Brewers. But, I think the larger reason for a transition has to do with Zimmer/Frazier being major league options next season. Gotta fit them in somewhere, and first base will be open for Brantley to move to once they need to free up an outfielder spot. It will keep him healthier, and allow a potential impact bat to play in his old spot. 

videofreak8

Melted
Reaction score
elcheato said:
He is mediocre in left field, and yes, the shoulder is a huge concern now. And while it's not major experience, he does have some experience playing first in the minors back with the Brewers. But, I think the larger reason for a transition has to do with Zimmer/Frazier being major league options next season. Gotta fit them in somewhere, and first base will be open for Brantley to move to once they need to free up an outfielder spot. It will keep him healthier, and allow a potential impact bat to play in his old spot.
I'd say he's above mediocre when it comes to his glove, he holds the franchise record for most consecutive games without an error, but that was long before his shoulder became a huge problem. I just don't see Cleveland converting him, at least not anytime soon unless he requests to play elsewhere. I think he'll be playing a lot more DH but I don't think a permanent shift from the outfield is imminent.

As for opening spots for Frazier and Zimmer, that's probably going to be a 2018 problem, and no telling what will happen by then. I assume Chiz will be moved back into the IF or traded, and who knows how Naquin will be doing, or if Brantley has even returned to form. Hell, Zimmer could be playing for Milwaukee.

I agree the moving Brantley could potentially benefit us, and I say he could probably handle the switch, I just would like to see if he could keep up his play in the outfield.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Error streaks dont mean much. Left field is the easiest position to play, so of course hes not going to commit errors. And as cheato said, Brantley is very mediocre in left at best.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
videofreak8 said:
I'd say he's above mediocre when it comes to his glove, he holds the franchise record for most consecutive games without an error, but that was long before his shoulder became a huge problem. I just don't see Cleveland converting him, at least not anytime soon unless he requests to play elsewhere. I think he'll be playing a lot more DH but I don't think a permanent shift from the outfield is imminent.

As for opening spots for Frazier and Zimmer, that's probably going to be a 2018 problem, and no telling what will happen by then. I assume Chiz will be moved back into the IF or traded, and who knows how Naquin will be doing, or if Brantley has even returned to form. Hell, Zimmer could be playing for Milwaukee.

I agree the moving Brantley could potentially benefit us, and I say he could probably handle the switch, I just would like to see if he could keep up his play in the outfield.
Catching the ball isn't his problem, he severely lacks range in the outfield, he doesn't get to nearly as many balls that you would hope for. 

It is definitely going to be a 2017 issue, unless they both struggle mightily in Triple A. The best players in the minors are usually in Double A, competition level in Triple A is worse. When they get the call to Triple A, they're viewed as nearly ready. 

List of games played in Triple A before initial call-up:
Francisco Lindor - 97
Jose Ramirez - 0
Jason Kipnis - 92 
Lonnie Chisenhall - 66
Tyler Naquin - 67

There is about 30+ games left in Triple A (that excludes playoffs), if they're playing well, they're not going to be needing much more seasoning. I'd put their ETA at July of next year. 

Overall, they have every reason in the world to move him to 1B. Even if Frazier/Zimmer aren't quite ready, they could always roll with Ramirez in LF like they have been doing. Plus, it's a lot easier to acquire a quality outfielder than it is a first baseman. 

videofreak8

Melted
Reaction score
LeafKiller said:
Error streaks dont mean much. Left field is the easiest position to play, so of course hes not going to commit errors. And as cheato said, Brantley is very mediocre in left at best.
It's not just the error streak, he had a great arm as well. But no telling how severe the injury has effected that. Mediocre at best seems pretty rash, but to each their own.

elcheato said:
Catching the ball isn't his problem, he severely lacks range in the outfield, he doesn't get to nearly as many balls that you would hope for. 

It is definitely going to be a 2017 issue, unless they both struggle mightily in Triple A. The best players in the minors are usually in Double A, competition level in Triple A is worse. When they get the call to Triple A, they're viewed as nearly ready. 

List of games played in Triple A before initial call-up:
Francisco Lindor - 97
Jose Ramirez - 0
Jason Kipnis - 92 
Lonnie Chisenhall - 66
Tyler Naquin - 67

There is about 30+ games left in Triple A (that excludes playoffs), if they're playing well, they're not going to be needing much more seasoning. I'd put their ETA at July of next year. 

Overall, they have every reason in the world to move him to 1B. Even if Frazier/Zimmer aren't quite ready, they could always roll with Ramirez in LF like they have been doing. Plus, it's a lot easier to acquire a quality outfielder than it is a first baseman.
Love the stat digging lol. If they are going to do with them what they did with Lindor, they'll get a mid season call up, but considering that Lindor didn't have anyone significant blocking him and they weren't atop the division, I think their call to the majors will be a little different. If the Indians are playing as well next year as they are this year, it's going to be hard to find them spots In the lineup in 2017 barring injury.

catman

Reaction score
The Twins traded Eduardo Nunez to the Giants for Adalberto Mejia, their #7 prospect according to MLB Pipeline.  I wish they could have gotten a bit more for him, but his track record is just not good enough.  Are the Giants getting the guy that batted .320 until the all star break or the guy that has batted under .200 since then?  His defense is good, but not great.  He can play nearly anywhere in the infield and can probably fill in in the outfield in a pinch.
Mejia is a kid that the Giants moved really quickly until he "hit a wall" a couple of seasons ago.  He is 23 and in AAA now, so there is still a lot of time for him to grow.  I look for him to be a #3 starter in a couple of years.

FutureTwin

Reaction score
catman said:
The Twins traded Eduardo Nunez to the Giants for Adalberto Mejia, their #7 prospect according to MLB Pipeline.  I wish they could have gotten a bit more for him, but his track record is just not good enough.  Are the Giants getting the guy that batted .320 until the all star break or the guy that has batted under .200 since then?  His defense is good, but not great.  He can play nearly anywhere in the infield and can probably fill in in the outfield in a pinch.
Mejia is a kid that the Giants moved really quickly until he "hit a wall" a couple of seasons ago.  He is 23 and in AAA now, so there is still a lot of time for him to grow.  I look for him to be a #3 starter in a couple of years.
i agree i wish they got more, but Nunez won't prove himself.... even when hes good he messes up by swinging at a pitch half way into another batters box... i have a feeling Mejia is a 5th starter or bullpen piece...its our typical pitchers

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
Mets and Brewers are still talking a deal around Lucroy. Seems like the main hold up is the Mets want either Jeffress or smith in the deal and can't agree on a return with one of the RP in

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/759077911282540548

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/759077941003350016

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/759080025706549248

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BrewCrewFan said:
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/759080025706549248

As much as i like Miller, We cannot pass up on Giolito

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Royals recent success has just absolutely inflated the value of relievers. Kudos to the Yankees for taking advantage of these GMs. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%