Tony Gonzalez OnT Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Tony Gonzalez, the most productive tight end in NFL history, will be traded to a contender if the Kansas City Chiefs get the right price.

ESPN's Michael Smith first reported the fact Gonzalez was to be shopped Saturday.

A league source confirmed to ESPN that Gonzalez went to Chiefs GM Carl Peterson and inquired about a trade to a contender earlier this week.

Tony Gonzalez

Gonzalez

Gonzalez, who holds the NFL tight end record for receptions, touchdown catches and yards receiving, is active in civic and charitable affairs and enjoys great popularity in Kansas City. He has always said he would like to end his career with the Chiefs, who drafted him in the first round out of California in 1997.

But the Chiefs (1-4) are rebuilding from the bottom up and not likely to contend for the Super Bowl any time soon. In spite of all his personal accomplishments, Gonzalez, 32, has never even won a postseason game.

He would like an opportunity to play in a Super Bowl and the rebuilding Chiefs would like to acquire extra draft picks.

The Buffalo Bills, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles have been in contact with the Chiefs regarding Gonzalez.

The Giants traded tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans last summer for Nos. 2 and 5 drafts pick in 2009. Shockey's replacement, Kevin Boss, has been a disappointment even though the defending Super Bowl champs are undefeated.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Would love to get Gonzalez on the G-Men, but Im afraid to even know what the Cheifs are asking for.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Yea, He wants to go to somewhere that can actually win.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We want a 2nd rounder.

And yeah Giants-Chiefs rumors have been floating around

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
2nd rounder is alot, I mean we were able to rape the Saints for theirs, but out front office is smarter then that.

I'd pass, but if it were to happen I wouldnt complain, gives Eli another option and Gonzalez is still one of the best TE's in the league.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well TG is 32. But he is still in very tip-top shape and is not letting up. I mean 99 catches this last year and 21 catches with Curtis Thigpen throwing him the ball. He'd excel in the Giants offense I believe. 6'5, 251 guy who can run and block and catch the ball like him. He's a sure target.

But we'll see how desperate the Chiefs are. If they give him up for a 3rd rounder you know they really want the picks.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah I say a 3rd rounder is more reasonable, If that were the case Id do the deal w/o a doubt.

We'll see, if we were able to pick him up I say our chances of repeating would increase greatly. Also would make us just as dangerous as any other offense in the league.

Three very capable/dangerous runningbacks, 1 All-Pro and three solid WR's and great O-Line and a emerging QB....

NICE.

hitman99

Reaction score
Giants should just jump on it and give up the Saints draft pick and take Tony G. They'd ensure the East with Tony and at least a championship game.

Though I could see the Packers going and getting him to help Rodgers out after the last two weeks.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Giants should just jump on it and give up the Saints draft pick and take Tony G. They'd ensure the East with Tony and at least a championship game.

If we were to trade them a 2nd, It should be ours and not the Saints, keep the higher pick and trade the lower one.

hitman99

Reaction score
either way. doesn't change much but a few draft slots. Besides then the Shockey trade would look like this: Jeremy Shockey for Tony G and a 5th round pick. A huge win for the Giants no matter who the 5th rounder is

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
he Giants have reportedly offered a sixth-round pick to the Chiefs in exchange for Tony Gonzalez.
Kansas City is holding out for a second or third-rounder. Green Bay and Buffalo are the other two teams in the mix to acquire Gonzo. The Chiefs' reasoning for shopping Gonzalez is reportedly because of their faith in rookie Brad Cottam. Cottam was injury prone at Tennessee, where he caught 21 passes in four years.
LOL Giants trying to rip us off. WOW. <Censored> that

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ok but let's be reasonable in the deal. A late 6th for Tony Gonzalez?

Yeah right

Bills are possibly offering a much better deal that is fair

JP Losman and a 2nd round pick for TG and a conditional pick

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
TG is cute. cal product.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
TG is cute. cal product.
Is SOM batting in Maple's line-up now?

After this comment and that "hot NBA players" thread...I am beginning to think so. I have nothing against homosexuals...but please guys...for the love of God...let's not add a gay element to the most manly sport.

Getting back to the topic at hand...

Gonzalez at 32 years old still has plenty of game & we could definitely use a TE that knows how to catch. Gus Ferotte to Tony Gonzalez...all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%