Several Teams Intrested In Vince Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The New Jersey Nets have spoken to San Antonio, Chicago, Cleveland and, surprisingly, Toronto about guard Vince Carter, the Newark Star-Ledger is reporting.

The Spurs are reportedly weighing up whether Carter would push them over the top in the West, but with San Antonio's salary structure being top-heavy, it's hard to see how a deal would be worked out.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Come on danny bring him to Cleveland. Lebron,Mo and Vc could be epic.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
rumor I'm hearing is TMac for VC... interesting

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I heard AI and Sheed for VC and others lol

just kidding.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I heard AI and Sheed for VC and others lol

just kidding.
haha, I was about to say something about Detroit fans always jumping in lol.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
According to various league officials and player agents at the scene, the Nets have spoken to numerous teams to gauge Carter's value, but the most likely scenario -- as of Friday night -- was a complicated 4-for-1 deal with San Antonio that would bring back two young pieces and two players the Nets would probably let go. Newark Star-Ledger

In this scenario, which was reported last Friday on NJ.com, sharp-shooter Roger Mason and rookie point guard George Hill would come to New Jersey, along with center Fabricio Oberto and Bruce Bowen. Newark Star-Ledger

The Nets would have three players over the maximum allowed, however, so they would probably waive Bowen and Oberto and a third player, while plugging Mason and Hill into their backcourt. Newark Star-Ledger

The primary benefit to the deal is financial: The Nets would rid themselves of Carter's $16.1 million salary next year, profoundly shortening their payroll: Mason ($3.8 million) and Hill ($1.1 million) would remain with the team, but Bowen and Oberto -- despite having a year left on their contracts -- have minimal salary protection if they are cut before July 1 and Aug. 1, respectively. That would reduce the Nets' payroll to roughly $50 million at the end of the current season -- or an estimated $10 million under the salary cap -- which would make the Nets major players in the 2009 free-agent market. The '09 market is not as star-studded as the one that follows, but some of the players available include Ben Gordon, Lamar Odom, Carlos Boozer, Hedo Turkoglu (if he opts out), and Marion. Newark Star-Ledger

They haven't calculated the salary cap for next year yet - obviously - but that could put the Nets as much as $10 million under. That's a huge bankroll to take into this summer's market. In effect, you can play out the 2010 scenario one year before everyone else - especially if you think all those big-timers aren't going to look your in your direction anyway. So that would be the impetus to the deal. And it's something they seriously have to consider, because even with Carter, this current Nets team isn't winning any title anytime soon. Again, they're only talking. But this talk has been going on since last week, and it seems to be picking up some steam. Now it's a matter of the suits determining whether it's a practical move. Newark Star-Ledger

Bostjan NachbarOne source raised an interesting possibility: The Nets still own the rights to forward Bostjan Nachbar, who is averaging 15.4 points per game and shooting 53.3 percent for Dynamo Moscow. His rights could be included in a package. Sporting News

The Rockets -- trying to rescue a disappointing season -- are interested in Carter, too, and would send Ron Artest's expiring contract to New Jersey. Sporting News

The Spurs are certainly not the only team pursuing Carter, though some potential deals have gone dormant lately. It was rumored that Carter could go to Cleveland or Portland, but, as a source close to the situation says, "any chance of those things happening is dead." Sporting News

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Doubt the Spurs do that, they are really high on George and Roger.. I just can't see them doing that.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I actually see them doing this if the receive word from NJ they'll release Bowen.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
Hmmm Parker - Ginobili - Carter - Duncan, sick Big 4.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Manu will be 6th man still, Finley would play SF.. I'd assume that anyways, and it'd still be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%