Report: Colts Made Decision On Manning 'Weeks Ago'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jason La Canfora/NFL.com - It is being reported that the Colts will make a move regarding Peyton Manning "almost certainly" before the start of the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine.

"According to sources who were involved in the Colts' GM search, the organization was planning to move on from Manning weeks ago, well before this public squabble between the quarterback and his owner," Jason La Canfora said on 'NFL Total Access' Friday. "So Friday's joint statement won't be changing a thing."

Manning and Colts owner Jim Irsay issued a joint statement denying a rift and saying that their bond is strong as ever. They had traded barbs in the media earlier in the week

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
id say hes gone.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I think he is gone as well unfortunately. I think Peyton deserved another shot at coming back for the upcoming season. Unbelievable that an organization that has gotten so much from Manning will just dump him off like that. Its not like Peyton isnt willing to restructure his contract because Im sure that he is. I still think Peyton is going to come back and be ok, I just cant see him retiring and leaving the game like this.

There are going to be a good amount of teams that would be willing to take a chance with him.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
It's sad what they're doing to him after all these years. But I guess in the end it is a business.

Favre4Ever

Reaction score
It's sad what they're doing to him after all these years. But I guess in the end it is a business.
I don't think it's all that sad. They have had a very mutual partnership over the years, but it's time to move on for both parties. In Mannings case, it's probably time to hang em up.

For the Colts, they just can't allow Manning to hold them hostage. I mean... The guy is owed nearly thirty million dollars in a couple of months. He's not worth that anymore, and apparently Manning is miffed about the Colts potentially drafting his successor? Like... come on, man.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not really surprising, though seeing Peyton not in Indy will be weird.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree. For what he did for that organization, they are just kicking him to the curb basically.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would not be willing to pay a question mark 30 million dollars when Andrew Luck is on the horizon.

TTN2810

Reaction score
It's clear he's gone.
And Pugz, it's business. I'd kick him to the curb too. As much as he did for them, they paid him a lot of money. He got a lot out of it too.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's clear he's gone.
And Pugz, it's business. I'd kick him to the curb too. As much as he did for them, they paid him a lot of money. He got a lot out of it too.
exactly. thanks for the memories but we have the future of the team and nfl coming in and need to build around him. sorry it had to be like this but its time. i cant blame them one bit.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious -- The fact that Peyton was a top 3 QB in the league in 2010, and they HAVEN'T picked up his option already, is enough evidence they're too concerned with his neck and are going their separate ways.

NCSportsfan21

Reaction score
I'm gonna laugh so hard if the Cards pick him up and he's MVP again.

It's silly they are just going to cut him and act like he has no chance of coming back ever. Day after day he was on the sidelines, helping every way he could and keeping mum on the whole situation, just trying to be there for his team. He led them to the Super Bowl and led this team to many victories. Lucas Oil stadium wouldn't have been possible if not for Peyton and they are going to shit all over him.

It's one thing if they show him the door politely, but to say the decisions been made and he's not worth it, that's sad.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
It's just too risky, with the neck. And holding onto him & Luck takes too much salary CAP, and lord knows they've got so many other areas to fix.

Unfortunately it has to end this way.

Honestly, I think they've been trying to talk him into retirement. They definitely made their decision a while ago, and you can't officially release him especially when the Super Bowl is in your own stadium -- gotta wait until after.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Cards wont pick him up.. They just gave Kolb that huge contract.

This isn't madden, teams have to actually worry about dead money and cap space.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Titans fans are setting up a site to get Peyton..and apparently a SB commercial. Wow.

Xaos

Reaction score
Apparently, Manning's arm isn't back to 100%, and it likely never will be, so at this point (in terms of pure arm), he's a Kurt Warner, possibly even a Chad Pennington. Not to mention his neck is still injured, so it's a huge risk for him to end his career on a bad note (ala Brett Favre) or even a serious injury (ala Joe Theismann, even though its not quite teh same situation)

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yea I heard today that the LA Times wrote a blog about that. Has something to do with spinal fluid and the nerves in his throwing arm, and that Indy doctors are basically telling him his most realistic option is to retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%