Pennington wins second NFL comeback award

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From espn.com
NEW YORK -- Chad Pennington has made a comeback from a comeback.

The Miami Dolphins quarterback won The Associated Press 2008 NFL Comeback Player of the Year award Wednesday, the second time in three years Pennington has received the honor. He also earned it in 2006 while with the New York Jets.

Pennington is the first player in the 11 seasons of the award to win it twice.

This time, Pennington was coming back from being benched in New York during the 2007 season, then discarded this summer when the Jets acquired Brett Favre. Two years ago, Pennington returned from two rotator cuff operations in eight months in 2005 and led the Jets to the playoffs.

But his work this year in guiding the Miami turnaround from 1-15 to 11-5 and AFC East champion was the best of his career.

"I think in my experience over the last nine years is that when you're winning, you feel appreciated; when you're losing, it gets a little tough," he said. "That's just part of winning and losing, especially in this league because the stakes are high, a lot of eyes watching you, both individually and as a team.

"I don't think the appreciation level ever changes, you just have to understand that there's always going to be highs and lows. And it's always to the extreme because the middle of the road doesn't sail and it's not exciting. The extremes, that's what's exciting, and that's what everybody leans on."

The Dolphins needed to lean on Pennington as a leader as much as a passer. They rallied around his work ethic, his preparation and his cool demeanor in the toughest circumstances.

"He's vital to this team, he really is," coach Tony Sparano said. "With Chad coming in here and doing what he's done right now and bringing a bunch of people together, these young players, what he's brought to them from a leadership standpoint."

Pennington received 19 votes, 13 more than quarterbacks Kerry Collins of Tennessee and Jake Delhomme of Carolina. Another quarterback, Arizona's Kurt Warner, received four votes, as did his teammate, wide receiver Anquan Boldin. So did Tampa Bay wideout Antonio Bryant.

Two of Pennington's teammates also received votes: linebacker Joey Porter (3) and running back Ronnie Brown (1).

Also with one vote were San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers, Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark and Baltimore tackle Willie Anderson.

Porter was among Pennington's biggest supporters for the award.

"He was our savior," Porter said. "He changed this whole team. He's not the one that's going to brag about it. He's just an old, humble country boy. So I'm going to brag for him."

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I like Pennington, but Kurt Warner's season was by far better (not the team's, individual).

Even Kerry Collins' story is better IMO

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Could have gone to Warner too but I don't think anyone expected Pennington to come back and lead a 1-15 Dolphins team to the playoffs.

PiStoL31PeTe

Baller For Life
Reaction score
Congrats to Pennington had a awesome year. He deserves it after the turn around year he's had since last year going 1-15.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
How many of these is he going to win?? lol

Congrats Chad, well deserved. Arguements could`ve been said for other players like Warner, Kerry Collins, maybe even Gus Frerotte, but Chad was the most deserving after getting rejected from the Jets and leading the lonely 1-15 Dolphins to a 11-5 record and a post season berth.

Warner would`ve been a close second imo. I mean, the guy was also rejected from his team, for Leinart, but than managed to gain his rightful spot at starter back after the preseason and take the Cardinals to the playoffs. I`m more for Pennington though because he doesn`t necessarily have any big names to throw to, as for Warner, he has one of, if not the best WR core in the NFL.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Awesome, as a Phins I gotta love this Pennington totally helped us. And now we are in the P/O's Totally deserved it.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Haha winning it twice is just funny as hell.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
Yeah that is. And shouldn't Matt Cassel get some love? 10-5 in his 15 first career starts after 3 years riding the bench?

VC15

Reaction score
Yeah that is. And shouldn't Matt Cassel get some love? 10-5 in his 15 first career starts after 3 years riding the bench?
What has Cassel ever come back from?

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Maybe MIP, but not comeback.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
Oh this is Comeback award? I thought this was MIP player award that Pennington won. Sorry.

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
I don't think it's good thing to win the comeback player of the year twice in your career lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%