Pats to user franchise tag on Cassell

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Patriots have decided to ensure that quarterback Matt Cassel won't be an unrestricted free agent, as scheduled in March.

Sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the Patriots will use a franchise tag on Cassel that will give the team two options: Trade him if all goes well with Tom Brady's rehabilitation from a knee injury or keep him because all is not well with Brady.

The Patriots' intention to franchise Cassel was first reported by the National Football Post.

That would mean the Pats would have about $29 million in salary cap space tied up in two quarterbacks, with Brady earning almost $15 million and Cassel guaranteed over $14 million.

However, the cap jumps to $123 million per team, which gives the Patriots $94 million to manage the rest of their roster.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
Thank god. He may cost money, but it keeps insurance just incase Tom Brady misses next season also. May sound crazy, but if Brady misses next season and Cassel plays real well, I think Pats should see what they can get for Tom Brady. Brady is my favorite player, but Cassel's becoming one of my favorite players also.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
ya they were saying something the other day that he may end up missing next season, which more than likely prompted the decision.

PiStoL31PeTe

Baller For Life
Reaction score
Yea if Brady misses next season and Pats make the play offs they'll keep Cassell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%