Orlando Will Take Tax Hit, To Keep Team Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Orlando ownership could approve paying the luxury tax if it would help them keep their core intact.

The Magic are one of 19 teams that have previously avoided paying the luxury tax.

"We've always avoided the tax, but winning has a crazy effect on people," Magic president and chief executive Bob Vander Weide said. "The [DeVos] family (which owns the team) is having fun right now. I don't think anyone has a willingness to stay in tax for 10 years, but to go in for a few years to ride this out, I don't think that's threatening to our family short term."

Hedo Turkoglu is expected to be a free agent at season's end, and re-signing him would likely push the Magic over the luxury tax threshold.

"We like this team. We absolutely want to keep the core together," Vander Weide said. "We're in the Finals. Can I sit in the boardroom this summer and say 'hey, we need to do a little more financially to stay where we're at?' I think there would be some receptivity to that. We like our roster. Now if Turk gets some crazy offer elsewhere, well, we'll worry about that this summer. But we love what he brings to this roster."

Via Fan House

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't see this team back in the Finals again. Not sure if it would be worth it for them.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
With a healthy KG it won't happen. They could beat Cavs again though.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dice even with a healthy KG you guys only got a 2 year window.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
In those two years, we could still beat the Magic in both of them.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No, Orlando is just as good and in a 7 game series it could go any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%