John Madden retires from broadcasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
NEW YORK - NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol announced today that John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored broadcaster in sports television history, has decided to retire from broadcasting.

Madden issued the following statement today:

"It’s time. I’m 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I’m home and, more importantly, when I’m not…

It’s been such a great ride… the NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion – it still is. I appreciate all of the people who are and were such an important part of the most enjoyable, most fun
anyone could have… that great life with the teams, the players, the coaches, the owners, the League… my broadcasting partners Pat and Al… the production people and the fans …is still great… it’s still fun and that’s what it makes it hard and that’s why it took me a few months to make a decision.

I still love every part of it – the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people… but I know this is the right time."

.loggie

Reaction score
John Madden was a great coach and all
but his broadcasting career has been pretty boring

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
r u serious? he's been an instrumental figure in NFL Broadcasting. Who else do you know has a video game named after them?

I will miss the "Booms" and "Pows"

Dice-J

Reaction score
He's also done with madden, like the part where he talks in the game. Not sure if they'll still call it Madden or something else next year, just heard that he's done being in the game.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
IM GONNA MISS THIS MAN.

Dice-J

Reaction score
never saw that video before

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Gonna miss the guy, he was great. I mean ya he pretty much stated the obvious but he did it when it was necessary.

Ah... no other broadcaster could make thanksgiving games understandable to a toddler. This man had a gift...

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Dude was the best broadcaster ever, peace john..wish you best of luck.

wade3

The T.O of SI
Reaction score
I guess he couldn;t go on without Favre....

No, but seriously, i'm gonna miss him. He is a legend.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
wow i feel bad for frank caliendo, loses 2 of his 3 biggest "voices" in one year.

no john madden
no george bush

i hope charles isn't leaving soon

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
wow i feel bad for frank caliendo, loses 2 of his 3 biggest "voices" in one year.

no john madden
no george bush

i hope charles isn't leaving soon
its ok hes got Bill Walton now, haha.

and his Jim Rome is pretty good.

bignoob

Reaction score
Well i geuss its time for another young broadcaster to get there shine on,

oh and most lickly the game still gone be name madden, cause his voice , was actully dieing down in the game,

Lake Louise

Reaction score
He's also done with madden, like the part where he talks in the game. Not sure if they'll still call it Madden or something else next year, just heard that he's done being in the game.
I was wondering that too. Had been for awhile actually. I think they will still call it Madden though, because it would look weird with a different name. I mean really, what else could they call it?? I`m definately going to miss john though. He definately kept things entertaining, and they wont be the same without him, but this time had to come sooner or later.

VC15

Reaction score
I'm going to miss hearing Madden's voice on SNF. BTW my English teacher's name is John Madden.

One Love

Reaction score
Man, I'm gonna miss John Madden. Even when he didn't make any sense and just seemed like he was rambling on incoherently, he still made it entertaining.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Im going to miss you John Madden.

I bet a lot of people can agree with me when I say he is the voice of the NFL......

Gonna miss him a lot......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%