Jets' Ellis fined $10K for tossing snow following loss in Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDCRwIP2yHI

Jets' Ellis fined $10K for tossing snow following loss in Seattle

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Now, that's one costly snowball.

New York Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis was fined $10,000 by the NFL on Tuesday for throwing snow at fans following the team's loss at Seattle on Sunday.

Several fans threw snowballs at New York players and staff as they walked off the field after the Seahawks' 13-3 victory. As he approached the walkway leading to the locker room, Ellis reached into a pile of snow, picked up a large chunk and tossed it into the stands at Qwest Field, appearing to hit at least a few fans. No one was believed to have been injured.

Ellis said Tuesday that he wasn't angry at the time, and there was no malicious intent on his part.

"It was all in fun," he said.

Video of the incident originated on YouTube after a fan captured it on film and posted it on the site. As of early Tuesday afternoon, the 53-second clip had been viewed nearly 340,000 times. Several other Web sites have also posted links to the video.

"It was kind of like a little battlefield out there, so to speak," Ellis said. "I mean, it was just all in fun, going to the locker room."

According to an NFL spokesman, players are notified before each season that any contact with fans that potentially presents crowd-control issues and risk of injury is prohibited. Players are also informed that they must not confront fans during games and must leave any issues to security personnel.

Jets coach Eric Mangini thought his team was put in a dangerous predicament as it walked off the field, saying several people were pelted with snowballs.

"That situation in the stadium in general was not a very safe situation for anybody involved," Mangini said. "That doesn't justify us getting involved in it on the flip side of that. He understands that. We thought that there could've been more done to prevent what was happening in terms of the safety from snowballs coming down."

Mangini seemed to indicate the Jets could file a formal complaint to the league regarding the behavior of Seattle's fans.

"I wouldn't want that to happen at our stadium," he said. "I'm sure Seattle didn't want that, either. It's just something that hopefully can be avoided whether it's us, Seattle, whoever in the future. You just don't want someone to get struck and hurt in that environment."

Mangini said Ellis wouldn't face additional discipline from the Jets, and the defensive captain would play Sunday in the regular-season finale at home against Miami.

It's the latest troublesome incident involving Ellis, who was arrested for speeding and marijuana possession last month and could face a suspension next season under the league's substance-abuse policy. The league is still reviewing that incident.

"I'm just continuing to go out and just play football," Ellis said. "In the end, we're all human."

PiStoL31PeTe

Baller For Life
Reaction score
well like Ellis said it was all in good fun and it was just snow plus the fans were throwing snowballs too. i prolly would've done that 2....not a big issue

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I think it's funny he did that. Seahawk fans were pelting the Jets so why can't they fight back, lol.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
its just freaking snow. Not like he shot a chunk of ice out of a tennis-ball feeder. It's freakin snow, you get hit and go "Oooh thats cold, haha take this.. BULLS EYE!"

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
$10,000 for throwing a snowball at a fan. Pitiful. The guy kept it as a souvenir anyway, lol.

What a great souvenir.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
and plus... they started it..

boy I sound like I'm in elementary school.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
and plus... they started it..

boy I sound like I'm in elementary school.
Well, it's the truth lol. They are chucking stuff and you can't defend yourself or get some "payback" lol.

I guess it's a "safety" factor and the security is supposed to take care of it and didn't do to well of a job.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Um..did you see the size of it? It wasn't a freakin snowball.

PiStoL31PeTe

Baller For Life
Reaction score
yea but it made up for the other 20 or so snowballs that were thrown at them lol. And your right Gianitmetfan they started it

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
If Ellis is fined 10 G's, then so should everyone else that threw a snowball at him

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Fans aren't to be held to the same standards as the players... Who have strict rules to abide by.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
Well they should atleast been ejected

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's not Ellis' job to retaliate... That's the responsibility of the stadium's security.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
NFL is an amazing private catholic school with the head nun, Goodell

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I told you he would get fined. Doesn`t suprise me one bit. He was just having a little fun with some snow, but Goddell saw he was having fun and a sensor went off in his head to fine him 10 tho for it. I mean, I know it wasn`t the smallest of snowballs, more like a snow boulder, but still, he was just having a little fun with it, from the looks of things.

Apparently, Goddell has had some bad past experiences with snowball fights or something.

HeDGi

AnthonyGreen>All
Reaction score
Ya well at least he didnt jump into the stands and beat the shiz outta the guy who threw the snowballs , like ron artest lol . . that wouldve been funny as hell tho . . . watchin a pro football player break some 40 yr old Seahawk fan - -

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
everyones got the same standards and fans are aware of the rules that stadiums have, those fans should be punished for their actions. This is why we have security guards who can recall who they saw. Dont forget tickets, so you know who was in what section.

This should have been handled differently, but you cant blame the players for defending themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%