Idea...

corey

Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys like the idea of having an affiliation bar on the bottom of your forum.

WhereLakersHappen.com/forums(we're affiliates) and scroll to the bottom and you guys are on there...

I hated the idea at first then I started to really like it and now it's easy to get linked to the affilations...

vikesfan

Reaction score
Are you trying to diss us? We aren't even finished with everything(homepage and intro) and we already had 104 people on a day, we have 80 subscribers on youtube and 50 members is pretty good for not advertising.
I think he's just saying your affiliation bar would be seen more at the bottom of the page then in a thread in the forum.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, what I was saying was that your idea is good, because the affiliates would be seen more at the bottom of the page as compared to them being where they are now, hidden in some forum nobody ever looks at.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We can always just add an affiliates section?

corey

Reaction score
Still, just an affiliation forum isn't that good. People just never look there. This way with the bar, you just scroll down if you want to go to another site. IT's not even in the way with being all the way on the bottom...

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The bottom of the board is reserved for 2 things - advertising to make money and advertising to those that contribute something to SI for return payment.

Side note: an affiliation bar shouldn't be the main focus on any board. the point of affiliation is to allow members other choices to view something if you wish. Making affiliation a main part of every page is "not good" business sense, in my opinion.

by placing it at the bottom, you're basically telling them to check those sites out.
If you want to retain members, that's not a good thing to do. You want to bring in new members, not the other way around.

Having a dedicated thread, those members looking for something on another board will find it easily, and those just normal members aren't enticed to click a button at the bottom.

This board has been around for over 3 years by trying its best to retain members. I do not feel adding an affiliation bar at the bottom is the best interest of growth for the board. Sorry

corey

Reaction score
The bottom of the board is reserved for 2 things - advertising to make money and advertising to those that contribute something to SI for return payment.

Side note: an affiliation bar shouldn't be the main focus on any board. the point of affiliation is to allow members other choices to view something if you wish. Making affiliation a main part of every page is "not good" business sense, in my opinion.

by placing it at the bottom, you're basically telling them to check those sites out.
If you want to retain members, that's not a good thing to do. You want to bring in new members, not the other way around.

Having a dedicated thread, those members looking for something on another board will find it easily, and those just normal members aren't enticed to click a button at the bottom.

This board has been around for over 3 years by trying its best to retain members. I do not feel adding an affiliation bar at the bottom is the best interest of growth for the board. Sorry
Hmm... I haven't seen it that way. But don't the ads look bad? I thought about the ads but I do care about the way my forum looks and the quality of it.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
jarrod makes a very good point, you have to look at it from his point of view

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
the ads bring in money to help pay for a superior server we are on. we have had only 1 outtage since switching over from the money gained on the ads at the top.

the other co-owner also planned on putting ads at the bottom, but I convinced him to reserve that for cross-promotions with other contributors

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%