Giants willing to let Ward leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSUViking

Reaction score
WARD READY TO HIT THE MARKET
Posted by Mike Florio on February 19, 2009, 5:02 p.m.

With the Giants using the franchise tag on running back Brandon Jacobs, running back Derrick Ward will hit the market.

And he’s ready to explore his options elsewhere.

“Right now I think I’m anxious to see what’s out there,” Ward said on Wednesday’s Jim Rome Is Burning on ESPN (via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News). “I feel that I accomplished a lot of my goals this year. I feel that I’m a quality starter. I can be a starter on a team. I can help a team win.”

And he knows that he won’t be the starter in New York.

“They just franchised Brandon Jacobs,” Ward said. “He’s the starter there. He’s their workhorse. He’s the one that sets the tone on the team. I was able to come in after him and do my thing. But I think I’m ready to take over that starting role for a team and help a team win.”

As the understudy to Jacobs, Ward rushed for 1,025 yards on only 182 carries, for an average of 5.6 yards per carry.

Ward identified the Cardinals, Browns, and Texans as potential destinations because, as he contended, each of those three teams need a running back. (Steve Slaton just called, Derrick. He said you suck. Roasted.)

The Giants have yet to make an offer.

While Ward might envision himself as this year’s Michael Turner, the reality is that he’s going to be 29 later this year. Teams are reluctant to cough up huge money to guys who are pushing 30 — especially when they play a position that often results in parts falling off not long into their fourth decade on the planet.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I think he will most likely end up somewhere else. Last season was quite possibly the end of Earth, Wind, & Fire.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
I see a surprise team jump out and get him like KC if they trade LJ, or maybe Saints/Jaguars because Deuce and Taylor are gone.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
I see D-Ward in Jacksonville, he can be the Speed Back that they need with Fred Taylor gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%