Elway in line for Broncos job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
When Pat Bowlen fired Dan Reeves as Broncos head coach following the 1992 season, it set the stage for the return of Mike Shanahan to the organization, although it took two years to happen. When Bowlen fired Shanahan on Tuesday, it set the stage for the return of John Elway to the organization, and it could happen a lot sooner than Shanahan's did. A couple of caveats: First, this is based on no inside information, only my observation of the dynamics among these three men over the past several years. Second, just how much responsibility Bowlen is ready to give Elway I'm not sure. They were partners, along with E. Stanley Kroenke, in ownership of the Colorado Crush of the Arena Football League, which recently suspended operations. Elway had all the executive authority, so Bowlen has some experience dealing with him in that role. Elway has given no indication he wants to coach; quite the opposite. He has been preparing to be an NFL executive for some years now.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
I don't think Shannahan should have been fired. Broncos were building a good young team, doesn't mean they have to get a new coach. Great when he had Elway, not so good without him.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hmmm Elway coaching the Broncos i can see that happening.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Elway might be signed as GM, but not coach.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Still not exactly sure why they fired Shanahan but I guess to them one bad 2nd half collapse makes noone safe, not even if you`ve done a lot for the team.

I think Elway will get signed on the staff somewhere, it would probably be better for him to be GM than coach though.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Being that the Broncos have been on a steady decline since Elway retired, I can see why Shannahan was fired. I like Mike Shannahan, he's an effective head coach, but a change needed to be made. The Broncos went from a back-to-back Super Bowl Champion, to a consistent Playoff team, and now they seem to collapse late in the season & can't get over the hump anymore.

Chris Mortenson said it right by pointing out how Pat Bowlen sees the huge turnarounds of the Dolphins and Falcons. Hire a GM, let the GM bring in a Head Coach with the same vision, and build from there. Pat Bowlen want that & he will get it.

John Elway as coach? Can't see that happening just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%