Dumars Explains...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Joe Dumars was smiling like a guy who knows something about Walter Sharpe that nobody else knows. He watched “a ton of tape” on him and brought him in to work out, holding him over for a second day.

“He’s good, man, he’s good,” Dumars said. “Handles it, shoots it, long and smooth.”

Dumars said Sharpe will be a small forward in the NBA, though he was playing out of position at UAB as a power forward.

As for Sharpe's history of off-court trouble - arrested for disorderly conduct, academically inelgible, shot two years ago though it appears he was an innocent victim - Dumars said almost all of it traces to the narcolepsy only recently diagnosed. He said Sharpe is now on medication and that "he says it's changed his life." Dumars said he's talked to "more people in Alabama than I care to remember" and is perfectly convinced Sharpe has a firm grip on his life now.

Dumars was prepared to take him at 29 when Seattle called and wanted to trade up to get D.J. White. Dumars saw it as an opportunity to get the guy he wanted and pick up and extra pick in the deal. He also said he knew of two teams preparing to trade up to take Sharpe.

Trent Plaisted and Deron Washington, the two other second-rounders, were picked in part because they agreed to play in Europe next season. Dumars said the organization asked potential second-round picks if they would be willing to play overseas because he didn’t anticipate having a roster spot for them next season. Those who answered no, the Pistons scratched off their list. That’s one reason they didn’t take Bill Walker, though Dumars said “we liked him a lot.”

The reason they didn’t keep White, Dumars said, is they saw him as too close in playing style to Jason Maxiell – an undersized power forward who can play, but a duplication of Maxiell.

That’s pretty much it for tonight, guys. I’ll be back tomorrow with more on the draft.
Looks like Trenty and Washington are going to Europe.

Nice to see Sharpe might actually be a good player for us..

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why would bill say he would wanan play overseas? He did alright but he's gonna regret that

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No, Walker said he didn't want to go overseas. That's why Detroit didn't take him I guess.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No, Walker said he didn't want to go overseas. That's why Detroit didn't take him I guess.
No i meant of course he's gonna say no i dont wanna play overseas. Thats a <Censored>ty ass excuse and we all know it rip. i know no pistons fans could be satisifed with this draft right now

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No i meant of course he's gonna say no i dont wanna play overseas. Thats a <Censored>ty ass excuse and we all know it rip. i know no pistons fans could be satisifed with this draft right now
I still wanna throw a brick at Dumars face.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I know TYO, I wish we would of taken him...

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
But at the moment I trust Dumars with this pick.

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
[quote name='Big Bid'Ness' post='3845965' date='Jun 27 2008, 01:24 AM']I still wanna throw a brick at Dumars face.[/quote]

LOL BB

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
[quote name='Big Bid'Ness' post='3845965' date='Jun 27 2008, 12:24 AM']I still wanna throw a brick at Dumars face.[/quote]
Exactly i support the pistons a lil bit cuz of family reasons and they are pissed. How do u pass up on your hometown kid and the next vc . Either Dumars is channeling his inner isiah or smoking soem good ass weed.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
lol, if you have to explain yourself, thats not very good. But who knows, maybe this Sharpe fella will be like a steal...or something.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dumars always pulls late round wonders, ala Maxiell, Amir, etc..

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
[quote name='Big Bid'Ness' post='3845972' date='Jun 27 2008, 01:29 AM']Lol i really want to do that Kdogg. Now they are gonna turn a PF into a SF.[/quote]

Wouldn't be the first time, but yeah these picks are questionable at best lol.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dumars always pulls late round wonders, ala Maxiell, Amir, etc..
Amir hasnt proven anything to me

Maxiell is cool though. But no rip i know your trying to agree with dumars but no. he's notorious for <Censored>in up in the draft.
* Look up Darko*

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Maxiell is cool though. But no rip i know your trying to agree with dumars but no. he's notorious for <Censored>in up in the draft.
* Look up Darko*
That's his one bad draft pick ever...he hasn't messed up before/after.

Mehmet Okur in the second round with the 38th overall pick in the 2001 NBA Draft
Tayshaun Prince in the first round with the 23rd overall pick in the 2002 NBA Draft.
Darko Miličić in the first round with the 2nd overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft.
Rodney Stuckey in the first round with the 15th overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft.
Arron Afflalo in the first round with the 27th overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft
Plus Amir and Maxiell. Even Mejia was a beast in the D-League. Won a player of the month.

Look at the pick numbers though.
38th
23rd
27th
Amir = 58th
Maxieel = 28th I think

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's his one bad draft pick ever...he hasn't messed up before/after
^
That one mess up is all u need. Look at portlands gm who picked bowie. Melo is a all-star sf and has potenial to be a hall of fame player while darko is just idk

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

* Look up Darko*
I agree on both.

Also Maxiell was a really good college player at Cinci, so I don't think that was a huge "steal."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%