Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From the Denver Post
Pat Bowlen is fed up.

And as Broncoland has come to understand during this tumultuous offseason, when Pat Bowlen has had it, people pay with their jobs.

Jay Cutler, the Broncos' Pro Bowl quarterback, is all but gone. Frustrated at Cutler's stubborn unwillingness to communicate, Bowlen announced Tuesday evening he has given his officials permission to begin the process of working on trading Cutler.

"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by head coach Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful," Bowlen said in a statement. "A conversation with his agent (Bus Cook) earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos. We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded."

Thus, Bowlen, in the 25th anniversary of owning the club, is about to dump iconic head coach Mike Shanahan and his franchise quarterback in the same offseason. Shanahan, who had been the Broncos' coach the previous 14 seasons, was fired Dec. 30 and replaced 12 days later by McDaniels, 32, a first-time head coach.

Before he even gathered his team for the first time, McDaniels was tested by the controversy that has become known as McJaygate.

Cutler heard about Bowlen's statement Tuesday, but said by text, "I'm not talking about it."

For now, the Broncos' starting quarterback is Chris Simms, who has thrown just two passes since sustaining a ruptured spleen in the third game of the 2006 season, or nine games before Cutler replaced Jake Plummer as the Broncos' starting quarterback.

An NFL source said the Washington Redskins are among the leading candidates to pull off a trade for Cutler. The Redskins have a proven young quarterback, Jason Campbell, and would meet the Broncos' preference of dealing Cutler outside the American Football Conference. The Redskins also have the No. 13 overall selection in this year's draft, one spot behind the Broncos.

The New York Jets have also been aggressive in their pursuit of Cutler. The Jets, who have extra picks in the third and fourth rounds, are better stocked for the upcoming draft than the Redskins, who don't have picks in the second and fourth round. The Jets have no proven quarterback with the retirement of Brett Favre.

Four other NFC teams — Tampa Bay, Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit — have previously expressed interest in Cutler.

It appears a situation that was unthinkable, and inevitable, is about to occur. Unthinkable because Cutler is just 25 years old and was voted to the Pro Bowl during just his second full season as a starter. A young, franchise-type quarterback is considered the rarest of commodities in the NFL to the point of almost becoming untouchable for trade.

Almost. As the trading period opened late on Feb. 26, McDaniels dared to discuss a three-team deal that would have sent Cutler to Tampa Bay and former New England quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver. The deal never materialized and McDaniels said discussions never got serious. But Cutler was disappointed upon learning his coach had thought about trading him. More significantly, Cutler came to distrust McDaniels to the point that two subsequent, clear-the-air conversations between the two only intensified the young quarterback's displeasure with his new head coach.

On March 15, a day after Cutler and Cook met personally with McDaniels and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders, and a day before the Broncos began their offseason conditioning program, Cutler formally issued a trade request.

The stormy relationship seemed to calm last Tuesday. McDaniels repeatedly reiterated to a large press gathering at the NFL owners meetings in Dana Point, Calif., that he wasn't going to trade Cutler. They would work it out. He's our quarterback.

Following that gathering, Cutler, who has been staying in Nashville through most of the offseason, told the Denver Post he and McDaniels were going to talk that night. The two exchanged text messages that day but apparently neither McDaniels nor Bowlen could get Cutler to pick up the phone.

McDaniels had said last Tuesday he had received messages from other teams inquiring about Cutler, but the team wasn't responding because it wasn't going to trade Cutler.

It appeared the team would wait until its first minicamp, April 17-19, before reaching their breaking point with Cutler. Cutler told the Denver Post last week he was leaning toward reporting to that training camp.

So why announce Cutler would be traded just seven days after the team said it wouldn't? It's clear Bowlen felt disrespected by Cutler. Phone conversations were arranged and Cutler didn't keep his appointment. The conversation with Cook on Tuesday morning also led the Broncos to move. If they are to strike a deal for an additional first-round draft pick, they will need time to evaluate prospects for that pick. The NFL Draft begins April 25.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I guess Stafford had an outstanding private workout with the Lions today. They called it "flawless."

I wonder if Mayhew will try to lure him in with that #1 now.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What the hell took so long for Bowlen to wake up and decide to play Owner? I sort of had a feeling it would come to this, I don't think Cutler liked the idea of the change from Shannahan to McDaniels and I feel as though Cutler was just looking for a way out.

Is it just me or does the 'McDaniels Era' seem destined to be short-lived in Denver?

This move isnt going to be good for Cutler's image but that horrible haircut of his isn't anyways. Well...the Lions now have a huge hard-on for Stafford so I guess Cutler can enjoy his flight to Tampa.

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ending the Shannahan era was a huge mistake especially without another proven coach to step after him.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
About time they start making progress on this thing. It`s better to let a young talent like Cutler go, than keep him there, and let him be unhappy. I mean, it`s one thing if they are a WR, you have other options out there, but the QB, that`s the leader of the offense.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I think most of us knew it was going to come to this.

It's a shame, but I guess it was bound to happen. I think McDaniels has a lot to do with this, and like AE said tis is turning out to be a short-lived era. I dont think many of the players have too much respect for this guy either.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
I think a team with higher first round pick in need of a QB (like Jacksonville) will go and get him

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i hope we get him, but either way if we get Staff then i'll still be happy.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
I wonder if Denver would take Chicago or Tampa's first for Cutler

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Chris Mortenson is talking about a potential 3-team deal that would involved the Browns sending Brady Quinn to the Broncos. Though Mortenson is speculating right now, such a deal would make sense. Denver was initially looking into a 3-way deal to begin with...and like I've pointed out in recent weeks, Denver is reportedly not interested in having to pay their QB First Overall pick salary...if they dont have to.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
My friend was listening to the radio station, and texted me what they said as closely as he could. He said:

Early reports indicate the Lions, Browns, and Broncos are working a deal in which Detroit would get Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler, and the #12 overall. Cleveland would get the #20 and Denver would get the #1 overall, Brady Quinn, Dallas' 3rd round pick (from Detroit) and a conditional pick next year.

So Detroit gives up #1, #20, and the 3rd for Cutler, Scheffler, and the #12.
The Broncos give up Cutler, and Scheffler, #12 for #1, the 3rd, and Brady Quinn.
The Browns trade Quinn for #20.

Very interesting... Not likely though.
If this happens, I'm going to say that the Broncos don't give up the #12 in this deal, and maybe a 3rd or so.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Cutler you can't fool me, i know you had this <Censored> planned, you just used this little excuse to try to make your plan work..Idk who would get mad because their names are in trade rumors? doesn't that ish happen in the sports world??

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well, if I heard my name in trade rumors like that, I'd be pretty mad too.
It's pretty apparent McDaniels doesn't want Cutler.. I'd want out too.

I'm sure all athletes whose names are in trade rumors are mad, Cutler just chose to express it.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Browns wouldn't trade Quinn for #20 overall lol.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Well, if I heard my name in trade rumors like that, I'd be pretty mad too.
It's pretty apparent McDaniels doesn't want Cutler.. I'd want out too.

I'm sure all athletes whose names are in trade rumors are mad, Cutler just chose to express it.
sometimes writers just make that ish up.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Didn't want Cutler? McDaniels is an offensive-minded coach (Offensive Coordinator and QB coach in NE)..why wouldn't he want Cutler?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Didn't want Cutler? McDaniels is an offensive-minded coach (Offensive Coordinator and QB coach in NE)..why wouldn't he want Cutler?
Well not necessarily didn't want him. But he wanted Cassell over Cutler.
Which got Cutler very angry, which is how I would of reacted too.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
It`s crazy to think though that a 25-year old QB, with lots of talent beyond belief, currently doesn`t have a team. It wont be for long, but it`s still crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%