Chandler close to being traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The New Orleans Hornets and Oklahoma City Thunder have completed a deal that sends center Tyson Chandler to the Thunder, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources with knowledge of the trade parameters told ESPN.com that the deal was approved by the league office Tuesday afternoon, with the Hornets receiving forwards Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox in exchange for their best interior defender.

The deal has yet to be announced by the teams, but sources say that the Hornets will also receive the draft rights to Devon Hardin, who was selected No. 50 overall by the Thunder in the 2008 draft.

The Hornets play Tuesday night against the Thunder in Oklahoma City but the players involved in the trade are not expected to participate in the game.

ESPN.com reported early Monday that the Hornets -- who have been looking to move Chandler mostly for financial reasons -- were in talks with the Thunder on a trade that would net the expiring contracts of Smith and Wilcox. Thunder general manager Sam Presti is a long-time admirer of Chandler dating to his time with the San Antonio Spurs.

The Thunder also possess numerous draft picks to sweeten trade packages -- including five first-round picks in the next two drafts -- but Presti was able to land an accomplished center to complement his promising young trio of Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Jeff Green without surrendering any major draft considerations.

With a payroll at nearly $67 million this season and scheduled to reach almost $77 million next season, New Orleans felt it had to part with Chandler before Thursday's 3 p.m. trading deadline regardless, even though dealing away the 26-year-old almost certainly takes the Hornets out of serious playoff contention in the West.

The Hornets were widely projected as a dark-horse title contender entering the season but hit the All-Star break as the No. 6 team in the West at 30-20 after a variety of injuries and struggles to cope with raised expectations. Chandler has been bothered all season by foot troubles and is averaging just 8.8 points and 8.3 rebounds, compared to 11.8 points and 11.7 rebounds last season.

With the Hornets unable to generate trade interest in Peja Stojakovic and unwilling to part with either Chris Paul or David West, New Orleans elected to take this deal to erase Chandler's $12.3 million salary next season from its payroll. Chandler has the right to become a free agent after the 2009-10 season in the unlikely event that he chooses to walk away from his $13.2 million salary in 2010-11.

At the Hornets' Tuesday morning shootaround in Oklahoma City, West told the New Orleans Times Picayune that he was hoping his team would resist the trade interest in Chandler.

"I don't know if that's somebody we can afford to lose,'' West told the newspaper. "So I'm not sold on that idea. You just don't find a 7-foot-1 athlete like that and he's the only 7-footer we have. Especially if we're planning on making a run into the playoffs, we're going to need size to compete with Portland, San Antonio and the Lakers. I'm not sure that would help us.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3913301

Why the fukk would they do that.

Macken

GFX Crew Capt
Reaction score
chandler's stock has blown up while at New Orleans.. i dont want to see him go.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This trade kills any chance the Hornets have at the finals IMO.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thunder are going to have a nice young core after the Draft.

Westbrook
Durant
Green
Rookie from draft
Chandler

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Insert Griffin in there and you got a championship team in a few years.

Also, I believe this trade gives Detroit the most CAP going into this off-season.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Anybody have any good info on Wilcox and Smith. I know both are solid.

The trade had to be made, the Hornets simply did not have the money. Tyson just wasn't into the game this entire season.

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
Wow, if this trade goes through OKC is going to be very good in the next couple of years.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's final.
I think the Hornets got better from this, they got depth and smaller contracts. Plus Wilcox is an athletics beast like Tyson.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Anybody have any good info on Wilcox and Smith. I know both are solid.

The trade had to be made, the Hornets simply did not have the money. Tyson just wasn't into the game this entire season.
All Smith can do is pretty much knock down a few open jump shots and provide some experience, Wilcox is just a banger on both ends.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Joe Smith is the 35 year old(or however old he is) David West except he's more athletic.
I laugh at the Hornots. Now everyone can get off their cack

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
Kills the Hornets Playoff chance is more like it, but it leads up to a strong second half of the season for the Thunder

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hornots weren't doing anything anyways
and now that Tyson is gone, he will go back to Chicago status in OKC

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
I doubt it DeMario, Chandler doesn't look like he'll ever be the Chandler from Chicago again

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Chandler was a scrub in Chicago
without CP he's still a scrub
even with CP he was VASTLY overrated

this excerpt just came out this morning before the trade
Winner of the Ben Wallace Award
Tyson Chandler, New Orleans Hornets - In the words of the Two Bobs, I'd like to ask Tyson Chandler, "what would you say YOU DO here?" He's a shot blocker who doesn't block shots. He's a "great" rebounder who doesn't grab even nine per game (which you can get away with if you have loads of hype around you, Steve Nash as your point guard, and your name is Amare). He has 17 assists this season. There have been nine performances this season in which someone has matched or surpassed his season assists total. The next time he uses an offensive post move will be the first time.

So it begs me to ask this question again - Tyson, what do you do for the Hornets? You get paid $11 million to do what? Catch a few alley-oops from Chris Paul? If Chris Paul died tomorrow, would you ever score again?

Sorry Hornets fans, but Tyson Chandler is hands down the winner of the first annual Ben Wallace award.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Definately glad that Hornets got rid of Chandler. He was just nothing but dead-weight to them, and it`s not like Thunder are contending for anything.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's final.
I think the Hornets got better from this, they got depth and smaller contracts. Plus Wilcox is an athletics beast like Tyson.
Nah...the Hornets just traded away all of their interior defense. Wilcox can step in and provide on defense but he can't completely fill Chandler's shoes. I wouldn't expect Joe Smith to do more than come off the bench at Center and try to open up the lane for David West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%