Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
March 25, 2008 - 7:29 pm
ESPN -
Chris Webber has decided to retire from the NBA because of knee problems that have plagued the last five years of his career, according to a source close to ESPN.com.

Webber is expected to formally announce his decision on Wednesday.
I knew this was coming. I wish him luck later in life.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Oh, Chris Webber was one of my Favorite PF's also. sad to see him go.

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
I used to hate him back at Michigan and Sacramento lol, but I wish him the best of luck in the future.

AirForceFlash_3

MLB Co-Comish/FSU Class of 2014!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He should have retired in the off-season, but he chose to push a comeback, and of course, got injured. It isn't the way to go, and last year with the Pistons losing in the ECF was a pretty good way to go, not the best, but definitely better than anything he could do with the Warriors. Oh well, I wish him the best with whatever he does now.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
ya he used to be one of my fav. players back when he played with the Kings, kinda sucks he's retiring

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
:( He WAS my favorite player back with the Kings. Sucks to see him go. But he can't do it anymore. I wish him all the best.

Injured Webber to announce retirement Wednesday
Updated: March 25, 2008.
Chris Webber is ending his comeback attempt with the Golden State Warriors and will retire after 15 seasons in the NBA.

Warriors spokesman Raymond Ridder said Webber will make the announcement at a news conference Wednesday.
Webber played only nine games with the Warriors before being sidelined by a bum left knee that's hampered him in recent years.

Webber was the most prominent member of the Fab Five at Michigan and played for Golden State, Washington, Sacramento, Philadelphia and Detroit in his NBA career.

Webber and the Warriors hoped that a return to the spot he started his NBA career would help both parties. But he ended up having little impact on the Warriors after signing with the team Jan. 29.

Slowed by the knee injuries, Webber struggled to keep up with the fast-pace Warriors and averaged only 3.9 points per game in his brief stint with the team. He had not played since March 2 because of the injured left knee and had not been around the team as of late. The news was first reported Tuesday by ESPN.com.

The Warriors are in eighth-place in the Western Conference, a half-game ahead of Denver for the final playoff spot. Even if Webber had been healthy enough to return, it would have been unlikely there would have been enough time for him to work his way back into the rotation.

Webber's second stint with the Warriors came to a much quieter ending than his first, which ended with a feud with coach Don Nelson, a public trade demand and finally a deal to Washington.

Webber was acquired by the Warriors in a draft day trade with Orlando in 1993 after becoming just the second sophomore ever to be the top pick in the NBA draft. He won the Rookie of the Year award and made the playoffs in his only season in Golden State.

But he clashed with Nelson and demanded a trade before his second season, and was eventually dealt to Washington in November 1994 for Tom Gugliotta and three first-round picks.

"I probably should have explained myself better, but I'm happy with the way my career turned out," Webber said when he re-signed with the team. "I never would have got to play with Sacramento or Washington on great teams. I never would have got to play for Coach again. I forgave a long time ago. Hopefully I've been forgiven a long time ago, and it's time to move on."

Webber had his greatest success in Sacramento, where he helped revive the Kings and turn them into one of the league's best teams. But they were unable to make it to the NBA Finals, losing in a seven-game series in the conference finals to the Los Angeles Lakers in 2002.

Webber's career began a downward slide after he underwent microfracture surgery on his knee the following year. He was dealt to Philadelphia in 2005 and spent the second half of last season in Detroit with his hometown Pistons.

Webber was a five-time All-Star, who ended his career averaging 20.7 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.2 assists a game.

Webber broke onto the scene as a part of Michigan's heralded recruiting class that arrived on campus in 1991. Teaming with Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King and Ray Jackson, Webber helped the Wolverines make it to the NCAA championship his only two years in college.

But Michigan lost both times, to Duke in 1992 and North Carolina the following year. Webber was most remembered for calling a timeout when Michigan had none remaining in the final minute of the 1993 loss to the Tar Heels.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well I told everyone it wouldn't end up working out in GS..

But I wish Webber the best of luck, a great guy just left the league :(

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sad to see him leave but it was long overdue. Was awesome back in his Kings days!

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
To bad he was struck with injuries. He could easily go another 2-3 years if he wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%