And the 4th Competitor in the Dunk Contest is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RUDY FERNANDEZ
Trail Blazers guard Rudy Fernandez has won a fan vote to compete in the 2009 NBA Dunk Contest at All-Star Weekend in Phoenix on Feb. 14, The Oregonian has learned.

For the first time, the NBA this season opened a slot in the contest for a rookie, who would be chosen by a fan vote. Fernandez won the voting over Milwaukee's Joe Alexander and Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook.

Fernandez will compete against reigning dunk champion Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic, as well as New York's Nate Robinson and Memphis forward Rudy Gay.

Fernandez initially said he would like to bring teammate and countryman Sergio Rodriguez to the event to throw passes, but Rodriguez at the time said he would decline in favor of vacationing. However, teammate Brandon Roy - who should be a shoo-in for the All-Star reserves - said if he is selected to the team he would assist Fernandez in the competition.

The selection of Fernandez to the competition will be officially announced at a press conference Monday at 12:30 at the Blazers practice facility in Tualatin.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbe..._las_vegas.html

I for one say BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I like Rudy, I really do, but he's not gonna be very good in the contest. Joe Alexander would've killed. Rudy's videos didnt impress me at all. I bet his fellow rook Jerryd Bayless would do better than him. SMH at people voting for Rudy. <Censored> this

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
RUDY FERNANDEZ

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbe..._las_vegas.html

I for one say BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I like Rudy, I really do, but he's not gonna be very good in the contest. Joe Alexander would've killed. Rudy's videos didnt impress me at all. I bet his fellow rook Jerryd Bayless would do better than him. SMH at people voting for Rudy. <Censored> this
Agreed, I don't think he is very creative at all. But I have not seen that much of him this year so he might surprise.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Congrats to Rudy for making it in. His guitar/singing skillz must`ve won people over lol.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BOOOOOOOOOOO

Should have been Joe!
I think Rudy is a better in game dunker just like Russel, Joe would have won it all imo..

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Yay! Rudy = my second favorite player in the nba not on the heat

I hope he wins it all let see what he can pull out the bag.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
why wont the NBA pull its head out of its $$$ and just let the veterans partake in t his,. No1 cares about these people, their no names. Get the real dunkers in the contest.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Its not like that lol --- trust me they send all vets invitations " J-rich, GG, etc... " 1 they either decline or they were hurt

Plus they do it like this so the fans can get involved..

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
why wont the NBA pull its head out of its $$$ and just let the veterans partake in t his,. No1 cares about these people, their no names. Get the real dunkers in the contest.
Yeah, cos everyone wants to see Vince Carter and Jason Richardson again....ffs. The whole problem with the dunk contest a few years ago was that it was getting stale, repetitive and just plain old boring. By bringing in rookies, not only does it increase their profile, but it brings something to the competition which is badly needed, freshness. Hell, I for one don't want to see Nate Robinson in the dunk contest again. I dont want to see him botch a toss off the backboard 20 times before he finally completes the dunk.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
JRich said he wanted to be in the dunk contest AND 3-point shootout
i dont think he'll be in the dunk contest, but he's almost a guarnatee in the 3-point shootout.
I also think Roger Mason is in, and thats all i'm guessing. lets see if i'm right ;)

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Spencer Hawes in the 3 pt shootout. lol

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
Who won the 3 Point Shootout last year?

I can't remember who it was, but they have to be in it again, right? lol

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Who won the 3 Point Shootout last year?

I can't remember who it was, but they have to be in it again, right? lol
Jason Kapono (2nd straight year he won it)

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wonder if Matt Bonner will be in the 3PT contest, he'd win.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
They didn't even send Daequan Cook an invitation
SMH

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Its not like that lol --- trust me they send all vets invitations " J-rich, GG, etc... " 1 they either decline or they were hurt

Plus they do it like this so the fans can get involved..
No they don't.

They send invites to rising stars, thats why it's called the Rising Star Dunk Contest.
They don't want you being in it if you have 4 or more years in the NBA(unless you won the year before).
And the studs like Wade, Melo, Bron, declined when they were younger due to being all stars already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%