2009 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Theo is a great gm, I love his offseason moves of Saito, Penny, and Smoltz. Low risk and high reward type of moves. And not to mention he signed Pedroia for a very cheap contract.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
and Youkie :) I absolutely love what Theo has done here.

Jacoby was actually safe on that play but w/e, it was close. Hopefully Penny can build on those two strikeouts from last inning. AND as I speak Penny blows a fastball by Iwamura.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Zito strives for quality against Rockies
San Francisco (11-11) vs. Colorado (9-13), 1:05 p.m. PT

SAN FRANCISCO -- Matt Cain couldn't continue his success Saturday. But Barry Zito still has a chance to sustain his.

Cain, who had recorded quality starts (appearances of at least six innings with three earned runs or fewer allowed) in each of his first four outings, surrendered five runs in six innings as the Giants lost to Colorado, 5-1. In Sunday's series finale, Zito will attempt to extend his streak of back-to-back quality starts, both of which have come at AT&T Park.

On April 22 against San Diego, Zito recaptured the form that earned him the 2002 American League Cy Young Award with Oakland, as he worked seven innings in a 1-0 Giants victory. Last Monday against the Dodgers, Zito extended his scoreless-inning streak to 13 while yielding three singles in six innings. Casey Blake's two-run homer in the seventh inning shattered Zito's spell, but the Giants still prevailed, 5-4.

These performances nearly halved Zito's ERA from 10.00 to 5.24. More significantly, he began reversing his trend at home, where he compiled a 7-16 record with a 5.12 ERA in his first two Giants seasons.

Previously, Zito's longest scoreless streak at AT&T Park was 11 innings, spanning a pair of starts April 21-May 2, 2007.

Zito has contributed to the overall excellence of the San Francisco rotation at home, where he, Cain, Tim Lincecum, Randy Johnson and Jonathan Sanchez have fashioned a 2.33 ERA.

Pitching matchup
SF: LHP Barry Zito (0-2, 5.24 ERA)
Zito's rigorous offseason conditioning program and improved concentration seem to have helped him, as his fastball has approached 90 mph -- a sufficient complement to his offspeed pitches -- and he has avoided telltale lapses. For example, he retired the leadoff batter six times in seven innings in his most recent start last Monday night against the Dodgers. Zito has fared relatively well against the Rockies, posting a 2-2 record with a 2.57 ERA in seven lifetime starts.

COL: RHP Jason Hammel (0-0, 5.59 ERA)
In his first start of the season, Hammel had an effective fastball and breaking ball for nearly three innings against the Padres on Monday. But he gave up a two-run triple with two down in the third, and wound up giving up five runs -- four earned -- in three innings. Hammel threw 78 pitches, 45 for strikes. The right-hander had competed for a rotation spot with the Rays before being traded to the Rockies just before the season started, and he had pitched in relief until Monday. Hammel admitted fatiguing, but he should have more stamina for his next start.

Tidbits
The Giants didn't need closer Brian Wilson on Saturday, but that may have been just as well. The right-hander had appeared in five of San Francisco's previous six games and recorded four-out saves in the past two. "We don't have any days off coming up, so we're going to have to lighten his load," said manager Bruce Bochy, whose club has only three scheduled off-days (May 18, May 28 and June 1) through June 17. Had the Giants found themselves in a closing situation, Bochy would have sought the best possible matchups he could create with the remaining members of the bullpen. ... According to the Elias Sports Bureau, only two other pitchers as old as Johnson, 45, have pitched games in which they held opponents scoreless with nine or more strikeouts. Florida's Charlie Hough struck out nine in nine innings in 1994 against St. Louis, and the St. Louis Browns' Satchel Paige struck out nine in 12 innings in 1952 against Detroit. Both were 46. Johnson blanked Colorado for seven innings while striking out nine on Friday.
His last 2 outings were good but if he continues it today, I'll retake my place on the shaft of his penis

...no homo

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Theo is a great gm, I love his offseason moves of Saito, Penny, and Smoltz. Low risk and high reward type of moves. And not to mention he signed Pedroia for a very cheap contract.
penny and saito are done

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A Dodgers fan would burst a Red Sox fan's bubble.

Hey Mexi, you never did comment on how Zito held his own against LA

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
penny and saito are done
Saito has a league average ERA and WHIP..he's still probably hurt, I'll take it.

Penny hasn't been incredibly bad, just that one start in Baltimore. That's where the 8 ERA comes in. I'll give him a couple more starts. He's not looking too bad right now.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
sorry Baggs, i just hate Penny lol

Saito, eh I've always liked him. Broxton has been dominant so it's all good here. I would hope he does well, but yeah I hate Boston sports :p

and PM7, i dont care about Zito he's ass

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
sorry Baggs, i just hate Penny lol

Saito, eh I've always liked him. Broxton has been dominant so it's all good here. I would hope he does well, but yeah I hate Boston sports :p

and PM7, i dont care about Zito he's ass
He had a quality start against LA

You said anything less than him sucking that first time would be a surprise. Well be surprised

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Giants still suck

I will say this though. Lince blew me away the other night. But we still got 3ER on him and made his season ERA higher :p

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Royals are facing the Royals killer hte past 2 years in Scott Baker

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Giants still suck

I will say this though. Lince blew me away the other night. But we still got 3ER on him and made his season ERA higher :p
Told you he fixed his sh!t <_<

He blew your batters away dude lol. Those swinging K's were NASTY

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Told you he fixed his sh!t <_<

He blew your batters away dude lol. Those swinging K's were NASTY
Billinglsey > though

less runs, earned runs, home runs, 2 more walks, opponents have a worse BA, better ERA, better WHIP, 4-0

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
He had a quality start against LA

You said anything less than him sucking that first time would be a surprise. Well be surprised
Is Zito pitching in Colorado today? If he is and does well, then he might be getting on track. Rockies are pretty good offensively, even though Atkins has done horrible this year.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i freaking hate Coors field so much

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i cant wait til the Dodgers play the NL East

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Is Zito pitching in Colorado today? If he is and does well, then he might be getting on track. Rockies are pretty good offensively, even though Atkins has done horrible this year.
He is against Jason Hammel

Im praying he extends his QS streak to 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 57)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%