Avery: Simmonds used homophobic slur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
ITS A FUCKING GAME AVERY, NO NEED TO MAKE IT BIGGER THAN IT IS. SHIT HAPPENS.

New York Rangers forward Sean Avery said Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds addressed him with a homophobic slur during the first period of Monday's preseason game between the teams.

"To be here now and having to answer the questions about what he did is disappointing for me," Avery said. "I'm disappointed for him."

It was a chippy game that featured 79 minutes of penalties, including a roughing minor Avery drew on Simmonds. The two battled fiercely for most of the night, and Simmonds said he was angry over what Simmonds termed a "sucker punch" during a first-period scrum.

Simmonds refused to comment on what, if anything, he said.

"We were going back and forth for a while," Simmonds said. "I don't recall every single thing I did say to him. He said some things that I didn't like and I said some things he didn't like. I can't recall every single word I said.

"We were going back and forth, battling the whole time. He definitely said some things I wasn't too happy about. That's where it is."

Simmonds refused to reveal what Avery said on the ice.

"It's in the heat of a hockey game," said Simmonds, "that's what it is."

Avery made news during the summer when he recorded a public service announcement supporting New York allowing gay marriages.

"It's an issue that people are dealing with and trying to overcome," said Avery. "I guess 10 years ago maybe it wasn't so much an issue, but it's certainly an issue politically, with people in the game, and just in life in general."

Simmonds said anything said was in the heat of the moment.

"Guys say stuff, it's the heat of the battle of the game," Simmonds said. "It's not things said to hurt people. Sometimes it just happens."

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
For once, I'm not anti-Avery here. It's not like, after the game, he called all the reporters over to him and started ranting about how Simmonds called him that. It was one reporter who kept asking him about the incident and Avery actually stayed away from revealing anything specific.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
True, but its still sort of an assinine thing to say, alot of things are said in a tussel, stuff that arent meant, stuff in the heat of the moment.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Im saying that it most likely happens all the time, but say a hompphobic slur to Avery and shit explodes, THATS why i said he's making it bigger than it is lol

dh1333

amnesia.
Reaction score
They should really be talking about that hit by Tom Sestito instead of something that gets said probably every game that just happened to get caught on camera.
He should be suspended for 10+ games at least, that hit was vicious.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
Im saying that it most likely happens all the time, but say a hompphobic slur to Avery and shit explodes, THATS why i said he's making it bigger than it is lol
But he isn't making it bigger than it is. The media is...

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
We'll than how would the media even have found out? lol. because Avery told them, nobody else would have...

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Or because there's a video of him clearly yelling it at Avery...

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Players clearly yell at other players all the time, right after a whistle the yell at eachother almost everytime...

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And it is usually made a big deal by the media (ex. Wisniewski last season).

Add to it that Simmonds was just the victim of bigotry? The media doesn't even need to make the story...it made itself.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
We'll than how would the media even have found out? lol. because Avery told them, nobody else would have...
No...they found out because they were watching the game...

Avery didn't even mention it until the reporters asked him about it.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
And it is usually made a big deal by the media (ex. Wisniewski last season).

Add to it that Simmonds was just the victim of bigotry? The media doesn't even need to make the story...it made itself.
I agree the media doesnt need to make a story about it, and that it just made itself.

But wisniewski is only one example, and i watched a documentary on violence in sports on TSN one time, and the players interviewed said that homophobic slurs are BIG in beaking players. But when it happened to Avery, it gets blown up, thats all im saying.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
I agree the media doesnt need to make a story about it, and that it just made itself.

But wisniewski is only one example, and i watched a documentary on violence in sports on TSN one time, and the players interviewed said that homophobic slurs are BIG in beaking players. But when it happened to Avery, it gets blown up, thats all im saying.
That's not Avery's fault though..

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Yes, and why dont they do that to anyone else? because they know Avery will start a contreversy and milk it aand shit. Of course its the media, how else would it be an Article and everyone know about it?

Its Avery's fault for telling the media about it, and its also the medias fault for wondering and spreading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%