The NBA's so-called "tribute" to Latinos

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSUViking

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. The NBA is paying respects to their Latino fanbase by putting "Los" in the front of several team jerseys? So putting the Spanish word for "the" on a jersey is respectful? The LOS Lakers and the LOS Spurs? Wow. Really NBA? Really David Stern? I bet the Latino and Hispanic NBA fans worldwide are just in awe that you honor them with the word "the" on a jersey.

Wouldn't it be much more of a gesture to have a jersey that says Los Lagos (Lakers)? Or Los Espuelas (Spurs)? Los Disidentes (Mavericks)? Los Cohetes (Rockets)?

What's next? Adding a "C" (Ukranian "s") on the end of Knickc, Celticc to honor Ukranian basketball fans? A Chinese symbol for "the" on the front? Sorry NBA....this whole promotion gets an EPIC FAIL. Or, LOS FAIL, if you will. :rolleyes:

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
But here's a fun twist: Rather than translating the team names literally ("Los Sols," "Los Espuelas," what have you), market research has apparently concluded that Spanish-speakers in the U.S. refer to them a little differently. The Miami Heat, for example, is called "El Heat"; the San Antonio Spurs are "Los Spurs." I'll have to take their word for it.
I'm curious though, why have los lakers and not los clippers?
BTW, I'm latino, but not offended. I think it's kinda unnecessary though. i think it's stupid lol

FSUViking

Reaction score
I'm curious though, why have los lakers and not los clippers?
BTW, I'm latino, but not offended. I think it's kinda unnecessary though. i think it's stupid lol
I never said it offended anybody. I just said it's <Censored>ing stupid to put a foreign languages word for "the" on a jersey and act like it's a momentous gesture to a fanbase.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but who are some famous Latino NBA players?

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but who are some famous Latino NBA players?
Manu, Pau, Marc, Calderon, Scola, Najera, Carmelo is half Puerto Rican, Gilbert loves his Cuban ancestry.
In case your wondering, Brazilians aren't Latino so no Barbosa, Verajao, or Nene

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Manu, Pau, Marc, Calderon, Scola, Najera, Carmelo is half Puerto Rican, Gilbert loves his Cuban ancestry.
In case your wondering, Brazilians aren't Latino so no Barbosa, Verajao, or Nene
Hmm, I guess Spanish players count...I don't really think of these guys as Latino

FSUViking

Reaction score
Pau Gasol is from Spain, so he's not Latino.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
well technically if you are from Spanish speaking decent, you can be considered Latino.
If you want to dig even deeper, Italians can be considered Latino as well
Latino is not short for "Latin America"

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I guess just being from Australia I had the conception that Latino's were more Mexican, Chile types...but then again I probably sound incredibly ignorant.

FSUViking

Reaction score
well technically if you are from Spanish speaking decent, you can be considered Latino.
If you want to dig even deeper, Italians can be considered Latino as well
Latino is not short for "Latin America"
Um, no. On all accounts. Latino is the ethnic term for people from Central and South America. That is a fact, my friend. And go call a person from Spain or Portugal "latino" and see what happens.

I'd also love to see how Italians are Latino. :headsmack:

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You forgot JJ Barea.

Also this is pretty much an attempt to sell jerseys

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Um, no. On all accounts. Latino is the ethnic term for people from Central and South America. That is a fact, my friend. And go call a person from Spain or Portugal "latino" and see what happens.

I'd also love to see how Italians are Latino. :headsmack:
Latino is a word that is really loosely defined
and I said they CAN be considered Latino, not that they are.
On Tuesday Pau didnt seem to mind...

FSUViking

Reaction score
WEBSTERS:

Latino
One entry found.

Main Entry:
La·ti·no Listen to the pronunciation of Latino
Pronunciation:
\lə-ˈtē-(ˌ)nō\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural La·ti·nos
Etymology:
American Spanish, probably short for latinoamericano Latin American
Date:

1 : a native or inhabitant of Latin America 2 : a person of Latin-American origin living in the United States
— Latino adjective

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I think the tribute is kind of dumb as well. There are better ways to do it, for example you can have like latino announcers for a day or something. Or you could have like an all-latino team even though it would be very tough to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%