Yao Ming: Not Certain About Ron Artest:

Status
Not open for further replies.

VC15

Reaction score
Yao Ming: Not Certain About Ron Artest

July 30, 2008 3:11 PM

The Houston Chronicle's Fran Blinebury is in China with Yao Ming, and has the following Ron Artest reaction, laced with trepidation, from Yao:

"For some reason, I like (Artest)," Yao said. "Because in the games we play against him, I hate him.

"When I text messaged with Luis (Scola), we talked about team chemistry. That's only what worries us.

"We worry about the new attitude to the team. We are adding talent to the team and we need that, but building team chemistry is important. This is not bad. I don't mean he is not welcome to Houston. But a new player always needs some time.

"Also, he was the biggest part of a team in Sacramento. He was a star player. We need more chemistry and more communication.

"There's worry. Obviously, yes. We will think about it, of course. Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands.

"I haven't talked to Ron yet, so it's hard to say. I have to find a way to talk to him and see what we can do as a basketball team. He has a history. But we know he is a physical player. He is a good player. He really can help us. And Ron is on a contract year, too.

"I think Ron Artest is a good player if coach (Rick) Adelman can control the team well."

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There was another report that said Artest won't join the Rockets if he doesn't get commitment from the Rockets.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think ROn will join and the team will be fine, other than that...DAMN Yao speaks good english now lol.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lmao I was wondering the same, I'm like "since when does Ming speak such good English."

They probably edited it a bit though.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I dont think this was a smart move by Yao. The last thing you wanna do is get on Artest's bad side.

Yao's worried about Artest disrupting things, and he's the one that might be messing up the teams chemistry with those comments.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I dont think this was a smart move by Yao. The last thing you wanna do is get on Artest's bad side.

Yao's worried about Artest disrupting things, and he's the one that might be messing up the teams chemistry with those comments.
Agreed.Artest is a guy who if your team gets him. You be happy. You dont question him disrupting things.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
*COUGH* RASHEED WALLACE *COUGH*

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why do I have a feeling this marriage won't last

VC15

Reaction score
It should last, until Adelman or anyone else gets on his bad side. ^_^

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm sure Yao didn't mean this...

And it's not like he has team chemistry with the guy they traded - they got Jackson at the deadline.

I think what Yao meant by this was that everybody is saying that they are the next big threesome. He's just saying let them have time to play together and develop chemistry.

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
I'm sure Yao didn't mean this...

And it's not like he has team chemistry with the guy they traded - they got Jackson at the deadline.

I think what Yao meant by this was that everybody is saying that they are the next big threesome. He's just saying let them have time to play together and develop chemistry.
I agree, Yao was deff not taking a shot at Ron Artest.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Adelman is a coach that Artest really respects. Evidenced by Adelman's last year in Sactown and how Artest played hard for him and hated it when he left. Not only that he also respects high caliber players like TMac, he loves playing against them, and even more with them. What Yao said isn't much of a big deal, I don't think he was taking a shot at Arest. I don't have a hard time believing that this will work out.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto," said Artest, who will earn $7.4 million next season and be a free agent next summer. "That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture. Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about.

"If you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there. Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%