Walker Hopes To Get Healthy and Earn Spot with Celtics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
WALTHAM - Bill Walker says he has no ego, and he hasn't even hired an agent.

If the 47th pick in the 2008 NBA Draft is going to make the Boston Celtics' training camp roster this fall, he'll probably need to pick up at least one of the two. But before he can worry about proving his ability on the court, his first focus will be on getting healthy -- a problem that has far too often interfered with his dream.

After injuring his right knee during a draft workout at Golden State, Walker will have surgery tomorrow to repair his meniscus, followed by three weeks of rehab. With knowledge of the injury, Executive Director of Basketball Operations and General Manager Danny Ainge still doubted that Walker would be available at #30, much less at #47 where the Celtics acquired him after a draft-night trade with the Washington Wizards.

"We didn't think this recent [injury] was that much of a set back to his potential," Ainge said of the rookie.

Nor did Ainge, apparently, think that of Walker's two previous knee injuries. The first -- his right knee -- forced him to sit out five months his freshman year of high school, and he tore his ACL before his freshman year at Kansas State.

But Walker successfully returned from the first two injuries to average 16.1 points and 6.3 rebounds per game this past season, retaining the exceptional athletic ability that had helped him rank sixth in his high school class (according to Scout.com), four spots below his teammate at Kansas State, Michael Beasley.

Though he dropped out of the elite rankings, he's happy for Beasley and the rest of the class that helped set an NBA record for freshman taken in the first round (10).

"I believe that in time people [who] work hard will come out on top," Walker said. "Getting injured is something no one can control.

"I can never take this game for granted. I love it too much."

Walker, who admitted he was intimidated by the few dozen media members -- especially under the 16 championship banners hanging at the Sports Authority Training Center at HealthPoint -- shares a similar situation to Celtics reserve power forward Leon Powe, the 49th pick in 2006. Powe underwent a pair of knee surgeries and missed his entire sophomore year at the University of California, but he went on to score 21 points in Game 2 of the NBA Finals, setting a precedent for Walker to follow.

"I'm aware of Leon," Walker said. "I want to continue what he's still doing and make Mr. Ainge look really smart."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%