Two-time D-League Coach of the Year added to Kings staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
According to two sources with knowledge of the situation, two-time D-League Coach of the Year Bryan Gates will be added to the staff of Kings coach Paul Westphal.

Gates has coached the Idaho Stampede since 2006, although he was with the organization in various roles as early as 1997. His Stampede team won the 2008 D-League championship.

While Gates was being considered for an assistant job almost immediately after Westphal was hired on June 9, his name wasn't called when the Kings coach added Mario Elie, Jim Eyen, and Truck Robinson to his staff in the subsequent weeks. Gates, however, indicated to News2 in Boise, Idaho that he still believed he had a chance.

"I feel very comfortable with everything that's happened," he told the television station. "They've been very up front and honest about everything and I'm okay...
"I love the Stampede, everybody treats us great. I don't really want to leave. It's going to have to be a great pasture on the other side."

Gates has already been spending some time on the other side, watching Monday's Kings game with Westphal and much of his staff before interviewing with the head coach on Tuesday. Former Clippers coach/director of player development Neal Meyer was among the candidates for the job as well. - Sam Amick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%