Thomsen: Udrih's Rise Creates Options For Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It became one of those Rubik's Cube moves that brings the entire puzzle into focus. Not only did Udrih's arrival provide the Kings with a true point guard, but his ascension to the starting lineup also will make it easier for them to live without Mike Bibby should they decide to move his $13.5 million salary in a midseason trade (once Sacramento's longtime floor leader has proved he's healthy upon returning from October surgery on his left thumb). In the meantime, the whole team is running more efficiently under Udrih's guidance; through Tuesday, the Kings (10-14) had gone a respectable (9-9) with him in the lineup.

Even more promising is that he shot 40.8 percent from the three-point line in 80 games as a rookie with San Antonio in 2004-05 when his confidence was high, and who's to say he can't replicate or outdo that rate as he grows comfortable in Sacramento? Overall, Udrih is posting career highs of 13.9 points and 4.7 assists in 35.0 minutes with Sacramento.

In addition to his deep shooting, Udrih is a left-handed penetrator capable of driving and kicking out to the Kings' shooters. He'll be even more productive after the returns of Martin (who is out until January with a strained groin) and Bibby (or his replacement), as well as with continued playing time. As solid as Udrih has looked in a Kings uniform, he has been playing his way into shape after averaging just 12.1 minutes in 127 games over the previous two years. He missed training camp and the opening fortnight this season with a broken left index finger.

"Right now I can say that I'm in rhythm, but still I'm not used to the contact as much,'' he said. "I'm going to get used to it slowly, but I definitely think I can get better and better.''
SI
------------------------------

We havent seen the best of Udrih yet.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Bibby will be gone before the deadline for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%