The 5 most trade destinations for Kobe Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
By Marty Burns of SI.com

The NBA is buzzing over the latest in the ongoing Kobe Bryant soap opera.

The Lakers superstar has not practiced for three days, citing a case of tendinitis in his knee. Some wonder if it's more than a coincidence, coming shortly after L.A. owner Dr. Jerry Buss went public with comments saying he was still open to trading his franchise player.

"Something is going on there," said one Eastern Conference executive who wished to remain anonymous. "It sure looks as if Kobe is trying [to force his way out]."

It's still too early to say if this latest episode will be the final chapter in Kobe's L.A. story. As of late Wednesday, Bryant was saying the whole thing was overblown and that he would "strap it up" and play for the Lakers as soon as his knee felt better. Bryant also denied a report that he had cleared a lot of stuff out of his practice locker.

It's still a long shot the Lakers would trade Bryant right now. Only a handful of teams have the combination of players and draft picks that L.A. would want.

Throw in the fact that Bryant has a no-trade clause, a massive contract ($88.6 million over four years) and a 15-percent trade kicker, and it is easy to see why finding the right fit is all but impossible.

Most NBA types seem to think this storm will blow over, and that the Lakers will try to find a way to make it work -- at least until the trade deadline.

However, as one Western Conference executive noted, "if [Bryant] is unhappy and decides to shut it down, the Lakers might have to do something now."

Here's a look at the five most likely destinations (in reverse order of likelihood) if the Lakers were to decide to bite the poison pill right now and deal Bryant:

5. SUNS -- At least one Eastern Conference exec said he felt this was the team that could make the best offer, with a bona fide All-Star in Shawn Marion and some good young talent (Raja Bell, Leandro Barbosa). As for Bryant, he presumably would waive his no-trade clause for a chance to be on the receiving end of Steve Nash's passes in the sunny climes of Phoenix. But Marion isn't the kind of scorer L.A. would need to replace Kobe, and it is all but unthinkable the Lakers would trade Bryant within the Pacific Division. As one Suns insider says: "They'd rather cut off their right arm than trade him to us."

4. MAVS -- Mark Cuban has made no secret that he'd be interested in acquiring Bryant, and he certainly wouldn't be afraid of paying that enormous salary. Sources say every player on the Dallas roster other than Dirk Nowitzki is available. But the Lakers aren't likely to do a deal without getting back Dirk, and they would be almost as leery about trading Kobe to this Western Conference power as they would be to sending him to Phoenix.

3. KNICKS -- New York is said to be one of the preferred destinations for Bryant, who no doubt would love the big stage (and endorsement potential) of Gotham. The Knicks have Stephon Marbury, Eddy Curry, Jamal Crawford, Zach Randolph and David Lee, but it's unlikely the Lakers would want enough of them to make a deal. Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak would probably want some draft picks and financial flexibility (if he's not going to get an All-Star), and New York can't offer much in the way of those assets.

2. CELTICS -- An intriguing newcomer to the Kobe Sweepstakes, the Celtics could offer Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo and some other spare parts. Pierce is an All-Star, and he's from the L.A. area. From Boston's standpoint it makes sense, assuming it wouldn't mind adding another gargantuan salary to that of Kevin Garnett's. Bryant could replace Pierce's scoring while providing a better perimeter defender to go with Ray Allen. However, the Lakers would probably need more than just Rondo in return -- even with Pierce as the main chip.

1. BULLS -- If any team could get a deal done now, most NBA types seem to agree it's the Bulls. Chicago could offer a combination of Luol Deng or Ben Gordon, along with a rising stud such as Tyrus Thomas, Joakim Noah or Thabo Sefalosha, plus a future first-round pick in '08 or '09. Plus, the Bulls are in the East and Kobe has listed them as one of the teams he would like to play for. But Chicago might have concerns about Bryant's huge contract. Also, would GM John Paxson be willing to break up his promising young core and the continuity his team has developed over the past three seasons?
I know i read in the paper today that Kobe took the Knicks off his list and from Marc Stein of ESPN said that the Mavs are Kobe number 1 choice.

Sabbath

Reaction score
I heard the Lakers offered Kobe to the Bulls for Tyrus Thomas, Andres Nocioni, Ben Gordon, Joakim Noah, and a first round pick.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Celtics will not trade Pierce... He has been their leader for too long... If you get rid of him, who is gonna lead your team? Brian Scalabrine?

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I want Kobe to go to the Bulls ONLY IF we get Deng
otherwise f*ck it

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
Bring him to the bay lol

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
Brandan Wright + Monta Ellis + Al Harrington + 2nd rounder for Kobe w00t

game385

Reaction score
I heard the Lakers offered Kobe to the Bulls for Tyrus Thomas, Andres Nocioni, Ben Gordon, Joakim Noah, and a first round pick.
That's a bit too much. I'm sure the Bulls aren't going to give up all that. I say two or three of those guys along with a pick or two. I'd prefer to keep Nocioni or Thomas in Chicago.

X-Factor

LOST>ALL
Reaction score
IF I was the lakers and that was a real trade proposal, I WOULD DO IT NO DOUBT. Tyrus Thomas is huge potential, hell, the Bulls are potential, I dont see why waist thinking about getting Kobe and keep people like Deng who need some space an improving.

Bring him to the bay lol
Baron Davis and Kobe, I cant picture that.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mavs are number 1 on Kobe's list and Mark Cuban said he wouldn't hesitate to talk about a trade with Kobe. It's between the Mavs and the Bulls IMO.

And to be honest I don't want him as a Mav. I don't want us to give up some of our future pieces in Harris and Howard and go for the next 2 or 3 years. I don't want to destroy this team just so we would get Kobe. Not worth it.

bulls12

Reaction score
for some reason I can see Kobe in New York, but I just hope that Chicago doesn't waste a bunch of great players for just another great player. it'll be a waste for them, and they're going far in the playoffs anyways.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mavs are number 1 on Kobe's list and Mark Cuban said he wouldn't hesitate to talk about a trade with Kobe. It's between the Mavs and the Bulls IMO.

And to be honest I don't want him as a Mav. I don't want us to give up some of our future pieces in Harris and Howard and go for the next 2 or 3 years. I don't want to destroy this team just so we would get Kobe. Not worth it.
you do realize who Kobe Bryant is right?
and i doubt we would keep him in the conference

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hope Kobe doesn't get traded to any of those teams....I like those teams. They should trade him to LAC hahahaha for like Brand, Maggette, etc.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kobe already dropped the Knicks and you might as well count out the Celtics too.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
dang. I'd rather him go to Boston out of all those places. I really like the Suns, Bulls, Knicks, and Mavs.

R6Vox

Reaction score
This whole Kobe thing is going to be complicated. The Bulls aren't going to trade away their whole team for Kobe Bryant. They aren't allowed to trade Noc until December, and I'm sure he would be part of any trade package that they would be comfortable with. I don't think they want to risk giving Joakim Noah, Tyrus Thomas (because they would have to trade both) along with Kirk Hinrich and Ben Gordon....and that's just to make salary cap room. The Dallas Mavericks are the ideal destination for Kobe. They have way more assets that could be used for a trade. Josh Howard, Jason Terry and DeSaqana Diop could all be used to trade for Bryant without pushing them over the salary cap and not destroying their team at the same time. This would leave the Dallas Mavericks with a starting lineup consisting of

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
SF - Jerry Stackhouse
SG - Kobe Bryant
PG - Devin Harris

That's definitely a championship lineup. I just don't know if Cuban is going to go for it. He's said it himself that they already have a great team. I don't know if he would want to shake that up right now.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hopefully not because Damp is freaking terrible. I hope we keep Diop

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
Hopefully not because Damp is freaking terrible. I hope we keep Diop
Damp sucks right now because he is getting old and hes on a team where he doesn't really fit in. I remember in 03-04 he almost made the all star team averaging 13 ppg and 12 rpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%