Teams Use Video Game To Judge Talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey doesn't play video games for fun or fantasy. Morey uses the EA Sports NBA game for professional reasons. He uses it to help evaluate talent. Morey says he is a statistical junky, an admirer of Oakland Athletics General Manager Billy Beane and a mathematical nerd. "I've always loved numbers," Morey said. "I don't play EA Sports as a game. I use it as a tool." While the kids plug in NBA 08 to "ooh" and "aah" over how real it looks when Kobe Bryant dunks or LeBron James runs the court and finishes, Morey plugs in for more serious purposes. "Say if you're thinking about acquiring Ron Artest," Morey said from Hawaii, where he was evaluating talent in person at the Maui Classic college tournament. "On the game, you can see how adding Artest can change the dynamic of your team. You can program it to run offensive sets with Artest and any combination of your players." According to the NBA, about half the teams are using the video game as part of personnel evaluation. In the quiet of his office, Morey said he can see how often a player posts up and gets shots on cuts to the basket as well as about defensive and offensive tendencies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wasthinking if people would use games to help with there ideas and whatnot.
Seems kind of smart but it also won't relate into real life imo.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Yea, you see how EA does that "Made Fresh Daily Dynamic DNA", I'd figure somebody would use that to help them...

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thats what I do lol. Sometimes I look at teams like, the Thunder and go...theres no point of even watching this game if I can put up hella points on them lol.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wow. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Video games aren't that realistic, come on now.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hope by D you didn't mean Detroit ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%