Suns plan to head outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
NBA fans might see the Suns and the moon at once next preseason.

The Suns are planning to put on the NBA's first outdoor game, an October night event that would be played at the Indian Wells (Calif.) Tennis Garden, Suns President and Chief Operating Officer Rick Welts said.

Suns part-owner Dick Heckmann, who lives in the Palm Springs, Calif., area, got the idea to play at the 8-year-old, 16,100-seat stadium from a local parks manager and passed it along to Welts.

Plans progressed to the point that the Suns laid a basketball court on the surface and had General Manager Steve Kerr make a site visit. Details need to be arranged, but the game could be announced in a month.

"It's a completely unique experience," Welts said. "We like to do new and exciting things. I think it would be remarkably successful."

He said the home of the Pacific Life Open is like a roof-less NBA arena with loge seating and 44 suites.

The Suns always play three preseason home games and can pick any site for the other five. They would stage the outdoor game, requiring them to bring the court, scoreboard and video boards.

"It's going to be incredibly cool," Welts said.
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/504...oors_this_fall/

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
it's about time -- could u imagine games being played in football stadiums? 60,000 tickets being sold -- it's nothing but straight profit for the team.

"do it. do it"

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've been waiting for this...I say DO IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%