.snowy @ Jays15Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
.snowy @ Jays15Fan

TOPIC: What has been the worst transaction of the past 5 years? This can include free agency, trades or buyouts. Does NOT include drafting. When discussing trades, you can talk about an individual player deal, or a multi player deal.

.snowy has the right to post first.

You will have a week to exchange posts. If you feel like you're argument is closed, then you can close it, that just means your opponent can continue to debate his point and argue against yours. No maximum or minimum number of points, all depends on how concise or elaborate you want to be.

Once each debater has closed their argument, or I close the debate, then the three judges will be assigning each debater a score out of 10. When scoring, the judges should assess how well the debater has proven their point, using valid and relevant discussion, statistical evidence where appropriate, rebuttal where applicable, and overall coherency.

Judges are allowed to deem the debate a tie, giving each debater the same score out of 10. I am using this scoring system, as opposed to simply voting, as a back up for a tie breaker in the standings.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I am going with a trade on this one. Over the past five years, there have been some pretty one-sided deals, however I think the worst deal over the past five years has been on behalf of the Detroit Pistons. I believe the Iverson for Billups, Samb and McDyess deal is currently looking like the worst transaction to have taken place. Reasons to come later.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Oh just noticed this now.. I'm going to have to go with the Raptors - Pacers trade, Detroit - Denver trade is my next choice though. The Pacers clearly won this trade as you can see how bad the Raptors season went after high expectations. Not only do they get rid of a $20 Million Dollar contract for two years, this gives them a lot of cap space as Baston, and Rasho are expiring which will give them the space to sign a big free agent. This definitely helps the Pacers start over. I believe they will be $15 million under the cap this summer. This also gives them the ability to trade Tinsley. And what do the Raptors get? A huge contract for two years. He ruined the team, I'd take Rasho over him for sure, this trade is probably the reason we aren't in the playoffs this season. With that said, I don't think the A.I trade was all bad as the Pistons got rid of long term contracts. The Pistons need to get younger, so this was not the worst trade for them.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you that it was a bad trade for the Raptors, but if you compared the Raptors to Detroit at the start of the season, Detroit had higher expectations than Toronto. Yes, many though that Toronto would make the playoffs, and they clearly haven't, but compared to the expectations of Detroit, many thought that they would still be part of the elite in the East.

Detroit, traded their best player. Their best player, who had been performing consistently for many many years for them. He ran their team, he was the cog in the machine that ran the Pistons to Eastern Conference Finals for so many years. With the same core unit of players, they should have been looking to make another run for this 2008-2009 season. What is the point in looking ahead to making Stuckey your main guard? You still have this seasons to worry about. If they were a bottom of the league team, then I understand this trade. The fact is, they were still near the top of the East, but in trading the player who ran their team, who was the reason behind their awesome chemistry, and bringing in Iverson who is renowned for holding the ball way too long, they went from being still a legitimate chance at beating a Boston or Cleveland, to now a run of the mill East side, who looks as though they will probably be a #7 or #8 seed now. And for what? This trade has meant a complete and utter waste of a season.

Toronto were expected to remain in the position where Detroit have in fact ended up. They were never going to make a serious run at the Title, so if anything, this trade has helped them. It is going to get them another lottery pick, and Marion is now going to offer some cap relief because there is no way he is going to stay up north. O'Neal actually started to put up some big numbers right before he was traded to the Heat. But then again, I don't think O'Neal is the cause of their poor form this year. Look at Toronto, and they do not have a guard who can score consistently. They have the most efficient point guard in the league, but Anthony Parker isn't exactly A-grade material to start along side him. The lack of depth on the bench as well as inconsistency are the reasons for their poo slide this year, not soley the O'Neal trade. If anything, the trade benefited Toronto in the fact that is has helped Calderon develop into a true starter, and not have to worry about battling with TJ Ford for minutes anymore.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Look at Toronto last year, or two years ago, we came in 3rd place of the Eastern Conference standings 2 years ago, we didn't even have a reliable shooting guard, I'm pretty sure we still had Parker. We did really good. Maybe O'neal didn't exactly mess us up, but he definitely did mess up our salary cap before we had Marion, he got hurt as predicted, definitely very predictable, if we had the same team as last year, we would've had 6th or 7th spot easily IMO. You are right though, Parker is definitely not a reliable point guard.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
2007-08 season record of the Raptors was 41-41. 2006-2007 for the Raptors came out of the blue, and now it appears they are on a natural regression back down to a rebuilding phase, and if anything, O'Neal has simply spead up the process, as opposed to starting it. You say he messed up the cap room before Marion came, thats irrelevant now due to the fact that the cap space has been cleared now. Toronto weren't messing with a formula that was working, they were trying to stll find a formula that worked.

Detroit still had a winning formula, and had to exploit it for all it was worth to have a shot at Boston or Cleveland this year. Iverson has only averaged 18 points for the Pistons, a CLEAR indication that he doesn't fit the Pistons nor do the Pistons fit him. It is fairly safe to attribute the Pistons fall from grace due to the trade. As soon as Iverson went to the bench, and when Iverson was out injured, the Pistons actually won soem big games against Orlando and Boston. It appears as though the Pistons are better off without Billups than with Iverson, if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%