Sapp rips Al Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Warren Sapp telling it like it is on Showtimes' Inside the NFL:

"Al Davis knows football, it's just '60s and '70s football," Sapp told Cris Collinsworth. "That's what it is. He's thinking that Cliff Branch is outside and (Jim) Plunkett is dropping back and you can throw it 80 yards down the field — deep ball, deep ball, deep ball."

"He came in there with a change of mentality," Sapp said. "The whole system. He changed how the locker room looked because it was going to take that kind of overhaul for Oakland to become the proud franchise we all knew it was."

"I remember the first two weeks I was there, we played a preseason game,"
Sapp said. "Somebody came up one time and said, 'We're going deep right here, dog.' I said, 'How do you know?' He said, 'The phone just rang."

"All the preparation that goes into a week of work is there, the practicing that you have to put in order to do these things, sometimes (Davis) messed with that part of it and that's what kills you."

"Any person that calls me on the telephone, (I say) do not go anywhere near Oakland."
-AE

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Well how can you fire a coach If YOU were the one Calling the Plays...and Changing things...you can't expect to win if you fire a coach every couple of years

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Al Davis needs to go hide. A once great guy in football is now the face of the worst franchise the past 5 years.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
There's worse teams, but the Raiders have been one of the worst. I'm not sure how much longer Davis will be involved in the league. What is he in his late 70's? He should have kept Kiffin. And i didn't get why they did draft Russell. They could have drafted a good defender or some other position. They still could of had Daunte Culpepper and drafted Calvin Johnson. Culpepper would have made a good QB, and look how Johnson is doing. Plus the have D-Mac. So I think Kiffin has the right to be mad.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think the issue with Kiffin not wanting to draft Jamarcus is pretty simple. Kiffin saw better options for the Raiders with that #1 overall pick. Keep in mind that the Raiders had both Andrew Walter and Josh McCown at the time...not bad to work with, hence QB wasn't their most needy position.

Every successful rebuilding process starts up front & I believe Lane knew that. The Raiders could have traded down a couple of spots, acquired more picks, and went for Joe Thomas. Thomas looked like the franchise LT any rebuilding team would have wanted.

Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson might of also been on Kiffin's to-draft list...but of course, old Al Davis has his own agenda. Davis envisioned Jamarcus Russell taking the field & throwing non-stop fade routes to Randy Moss and Jerry Porter all Sunday afternoon.

I think about 90% of the players and coaches that have worked for Al Davis at one time...end up despising the man before they leave Oakland.

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
It's becoming pretty obvious that Al Davis' time has came and went. He should seriously consider resigning VERY SOON, for the oakland raiders' sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%