Sam Cassell wants to coach Clippers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
The 2005-2006 season was a glorious time for Sam Cassell, as the point guard and inspirational leader of the Clippers. He led them to the best regular-season record in team history and into the playoffs, where the Clippers came within an eyelash of reaching the Western Conference finals.

“This is my home away from home,” Cassell said. “I had lots of success here. I enjoyed playing here.”

Cassell owns a home in Marina del Rey that he rents out to a former Clippers’ employee. But after securing a buyout of his contract last February, Cassell was waived by the Clippers and then signed by the Celtics. He helped Boston win several late-season games although his role subsequently was diminished in the playoffs.

But the 39-year old Cassell was preparing for his future, having already proclaimed that the 2008-2009 season - his 16th in the NBA - would be his last. Cassell’s next job, he hopes, will be as a NBA coach, as soon as the 2009-2010 season.

“I’m ready,” Cassell said. “I know I’m ready.”

Cassell said a dream come true for him would be to one day return to Los Angeles and coach the Clippers.

Celtics head coach Doc Rivers, who played 13 seasons in the NBA, believes that Cassell will be a successful NBA coach.

“It’s his basketball I.Q. and his temperament,” Rivers said. “He’s one of the few NBA players that I’ve ever been around that has the ability to tell stars and average players exactly what they need to hear. A lot of times it’s not the politically-correct thing he’s telling them but they still listen. He’s going to be a heck of a coach.”

Gesturing in the direction of the Celtics’ 22-year old starting point guard Rajon Rondo, Cassell said, “My job is to help make him one of the best point guards in the NBA. He has all the tools. I tell him he has two things I never had - speed and quickness. I’m teaching him how to maximize what he has.”

Rondo has been a willing student.

“He’s like a coach,” Rondo said. “He sees a lot from where he’s sitting on the bench."

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I thought Cassell would someday be a great coach also. Very cerebral, motivated, and inspirational guy right there. When is he supposed to be active again this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%