Ruling puts Ratner closer to Nets' Brooklyn Arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Developer Bruce Ratner's plans to bring the New Jersey Nets to Brooklyn is a step closer to reality after a state appeals court dismissed a major challenge to his long-delayed Atlantic Yards project on Friday.

Ratner, the CEO of Forest City Ratner Companies, said he hopes to break ground on the $800-million dollar Barclay Center by October. The planned 20,000-seat arena would be the first part of a 22-acre development at the intersection of Flatbush and Atlantic Avenues. Along with the arena, the $4-billion project will include an office tower and more than 6,000 apartments with as many as 2,250 for low and middle-income families. Ratner said he hoped to build the first residential building six to nine months after starting the arena.

In a unanimous decision, the state Supreme Court's appellate division upheld a lower-court ruling that rejected a challenge to the state's use of eminent domain to obtain properties. "It cannot be said that the public benefits which the Atlantic Yards project is expected to yield are incidental or pretextual in comparison to the benefit that will be bestowed upon the project's private developer," the ruling said.

The opposition, which has yet to win a lawsuit but has delayed the project for over two years, vowed to continue to fight and expressed doubt over whether Ratner would get the financing he needs in such uncertain economic times. Ratner, the CEO of Forest City Ratner Companies, said he hopes to raise the funds for the project by issuing bonds.

The Nets, who went 34-48 this past season, currently play at the Izod Center in East Rutherford.

Source: newsday.com
I guess NJ isnt that great after all.......

VC15

Reaction score
NJ is the best state ever, we're rich smart and no other state has swagger like us. Hopefully this gives us a chance at luring in LeBron in the very off chance that the Cavs don't win an NBA title in the next two years.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
NJ is the best state ever, we're rich smart and no other state has swagger like us.
Lol, your NY's garbage dump.

But in another note, Im interested to see the Nets' jersey design's once they do move.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
lol VC, Your pretty much just new york's ball sacks,

wow u had me rollin when u said no state has swagger like ya'll.

VC15

Reaction score
Lol, your NY's garbage dump.
NY IS a garbage dump (look at the Knicks for example lol), we're just nice enough to help our less privileged neighbor state.

lol VC, Your pretty much just new york's ball sacks,

wow u had me rollin when u said no state has swagger like ya'll.
Florida is just a cheap knockoff of California, learn how to drive.
Homer Simpson said:
We can't go to Florida... thats America's wang! *points at the d*ck-like state of Florida*
On topic: All this means is that the legal troubles are over, now it's all financial issues.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've worked & lived in the NJ area going on 2 years now & I hate this state. Sorry VC but people do not know how to drive in NJ & you can't make a left turn anywhere. Nowhere else on the planet are their "jughandles" on every town, county and state highway.

NJ reminds me a lot of upstate NY though. Much like upstate NY, outsiders think its full of big city...but in reality, its scattered, run-down city surrounded by farm land. Anybody ever been to Trenton? Newark? Jersey City? All I can say is shhh hole.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Haha that's definitely the thing that irked me in my time at NJ those damned jughandles. I was like wtf is this?! Do I really have to take extra winding road just to make a left?! and idk if it's just NJ, but everyone drives like 10 mph under the speed limit traffic was always ridiculously slow.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I love L.A. :D

ok back on topic. The NJ mayor said that he thinks the Nets won't move to Brooklyn and thinks they'll be sold. He also says "they'll be competing from Seattle to KC to get a city"---loosely quoted.

This is getting interesting.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would love for KC to get a team. Id get season tickets.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kansas City Lightening, duh.
lol

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Brooklyn here we come! My gf lives in Brooklyn so it would be nice seeing the Nets often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%