Richards' rights to be acquired by the Leafs by the end of the week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
"The Stars have not asked Brad to waive his no-trade clause, and at this point in time, he has no intention of doing so," agent Pat Morris told the Daily News Monday night when informed that a source had said a move to the Toronto Maple Leafs could be completed by the end of this week. "We're still pointing toward July 1."

July 1 is when Richards becomes an unrestricted free agent. Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk said last week that because of ownership uncertainty, Dallas would not be able to re-sign Richards, and would look to get something in exchange for the exclusive rights to negotiate with him before the end of the month.

Still, a source told The News Monday night that the Maple Leafs felt close enough to making such a deal that they already have plans in place for subsequent moves to clear salary-cap room for Richards, who made $7.8 million this season.

"It's legit," the source said. "Toronto is desperate for a star like this."

Richards would have to waive the no-trade clause in his current contract to allow a move before July 1, and Morris said he saw no reason to accept a deal instead of letting the entire NHL bid for his client's services. The agent would not rule out the possibility of Richards considering a deal, and said he did not know what Nieuwendyk was working on.
http://hfboards.ca/showthread.php?t=922393

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Unless they somehow manage to unload Mike Komisarek's disastrous contract, is this smart for Toronto? It buys them a bit more time to get something done before the 1st but would it be worth giving up pieces for?

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I wouldn't imagine it would be much. Probably similar to what calgary gave up for Jay's rights. We also have a lot of cap space for this move, since most likely only two guys will be getting raises (Schenn and MacArthur)

H-MYK

Reaction score
I'm hoping that Richards would sign, but I'm not sure if we can get him.

JKG33

Reaction score
I really hope the Leafs don't get him. He would just be a waste for us. I want them to do a proper rebuild, not go out signing big name free agents. Don't get me wrong, I think Brad Richards is a great player, just not someone the Leafs should be trying to acquire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%