Report: Stockton, Sloan get Hall passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Former Utah Jazz point guard John Stockton, the NBA's all-time leader in assists and steals, and current Jazz coach Jerry Sloan have been voted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Saturday.

Sloan and Stockton, a 10-time All-Star, join a class expected to include Michael Jordan, who beat Sloan's and Stockton's Jazz in two NBA Finals.

According to media reports, former San Antonio Spurs center David Robinson and Rutgers women's coach C. Vivian Stringer have also been voted into the Hall.

The official announcement of this year's inductees will be made Monday at the NCAA Final Four in Detroit.

"I don't know how I'm going to feel -- make or miss," Stockton said about the prospect of induction earlier this week, according to the Tribune. "As things came along throughout my career, I always tried to take them as they came -- the good and the bad.

"I guess this fits into that category. I'm not sitting here waiting for a phone call. I'm not hoping or praying," Stockton added, according to the newspaper. "[Induction] doesn't have a lot of meaning in the present. If that time comes, I may say a whole different thing. But that's my approach right now."

Sloan, 67, the longest tenured coach in American pro sports, took a break from the Jazz this week to attend the funeral in Illinois of his 80-year-old brother, Buck, who died Tuesday.

The Hall's 16 finalists were announced Feb. 13. They also included NBA coach Don Nelson, former NBA stars Dennis Johnson, Chris Mullin and Bernard King, and two-time WNBA MVP Cynthia Cooper.

***John Stockton averaged a career double-double, with 13.1 points and 10.5 assists per game. He holds the NBA's record for most career assists (15,806) by a considerable margin, as well as the record for most career steals (3,265).

***He is one of professional basketball's most successful coaches, with a career regular-season win–loss record of 1086–717 (as of the end of the 2007–08 NBA season), placing him fourth on the list of all-time most-winning NBA coaches. Sloan collected his 1,000th career win against the Dallas Mavericks on December 11, 2006, in a 101-79 victory, which made him only the fifth coach in NBA history to surpass this milestone. Sloan is the only coach in NBA history to record 1,000 wins with the same club, having reached that mark on November 7, 2008 with a win over the Oklahoma City Thunder. He has also coached for one team longer than anyone in NBA history. The 2008-09 season will be his 21st season (and 20th full season) at the helm of the Jazz.

anyone who knows me knows i love john stockon :wub:

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Stockton is my fav player of all-time..... Behind Magic I consider him the 2nd best PG of all-time. Great player on both sides of the ball.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
who doesn't love Stockton?

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
They both definitley deserved to get in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%