Recent NBA News

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score

MIAMI -- Miami Heat center Jamaal Magloire will miss at least six weeks with a broken left hand, and could be sidelined even longer if surgery is required to repair the fracture.

Jamaal Magloire

Magloire
Magliore was injured in Miami's preseason overtime loss against New Jersey in Paris on Thursday. He returned to South Florida after the game, while the Heat remained behind for a rematch with the Nets on Sunday in London.

"It's unfortunate what happened," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said in London on Saturday. "He was just starting to get into his rhythm. He got himself into great condition, lost a couple percent body fat, over 10 pounds. So it's unfortunate but we've got to move forward and now we get a look at the other guys, and they're ready to go."

Magliore's fracture was reset without surgery, which would minimize his recovery time. If the procedure, called a closed reduction, doesn't work, surgery to insert screws remains an option and would be a more significant setback for Magliore, a former All-Star who was looking to revive his career in Miami this season.

With Magliore out indefinitely, the Heat will see more of Joel Anthony and David Padgett at center.

Only two weeks into camp, Miami is dealing with several injury issues.

In addition to Magliore, point guard Chris Quinn -- perhaps the favorite to be the opening-night starter -- will not play Sunday because of a sprained ankle suffered in Miami in the preseason opener against Detroit. Guard Shaun Livingston (knee) and forward Dorell Wright (knee) also won't play Sunday, and forwards Udonis Haslem (foot) and James Jones (wrist) will be game-time decisions.

But even with the team off to an 0-2 start in the exhibition schedule, Spoelstra said he still isn't overly concerned about wins and losses at this point in camp.

"It's important for us to play well and play productively and improve," Spoelstra said.

The Heat are scheduled to return to South Florida on Monday.

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Trail Blazers forward Martell Webster fractured a bone in his left foot Tuesday night in a preseason victory over the Sacramento Kings.

The Trail Blazers said Webster will be evaluated to determine the best course of treatment. A timetable for his return was not set.

Webster led the Blazers with 15 points and six rebounds in the 110-81 win.

X-rays taken after the game showed the stress fracture of his fifth metatarsal and further testing confirmed the injury, which was not apparent during the game.
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Orlando Magic picked up their $2.8 million option on guard J.J. Redick for next season.

The former Duke star has struggled to work his way into the backcourt rotation and last season asked for a trade. He was the first guard off the bench in the Magic's loss to Atlanta in the preseason opener Monday, scoring 12 points, and drew praise from coach Stan Van Gundy for his play in practices.

Redick, the team's first-round pick in 2006, originally signed a two-year deal with two one-year options. He's making $2.1 million this season.

Calls to Redick's agent, Arn Tellem, were not immediately returned.

The Dallas Independent School District has reopened an investigation into alleged improper grade changes for former star basketball player Darrell Arthur at South Oak Cliff High School, WFAA, the ABC affiliate in Dallas reported.
Arthur

Arthur
Superintendent Michael Hinojosa said he will ask for an outside independent review of the academic records of Arthur and his former teammates.

"There are too many questions at this time for us to just leave it alone," Hinojosa said.

Arthur, who now plays for the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies, did not respond to requests for comment.

One of the nation's top recruits, Arthur was a key player on Kansas' national basketball championship team last season.

An investigation into a grade change for another athlete resulted in South Oak Cliff forfeiting the 2006 state basketball title. The school district, however, released a report two months ago that cleared South Oak Cliff staff and students of any further wrongdoings in the 2005 and 2007 state basketball championships.

WFAA-TV's follow-up found investigators may have failed to interview witnesses and review algebra, English and theater arts grades received by Arthur.

If the district finds Arthur did not have sufficient credits to graduate from high school, Kansas could have to forfeit any or all games involving him.

Kansas athletic department officials have said they believe that the investigation into Arthur would not affect the school's basketball program

WASHINGTON -- In recent seasons, the Washington Wizards could be described as injury plagued. Those woes have continued this preseason.

Not only is star guard Gilbert Arenas not available for at least the first month of the season due to surgery on his left knee, but starting center Brendan Haywood is scheduled for surgery to repair torn ligaments in his injured right wrist next week.

Jamison

Jamison

Brendan Haywood

Haywood
The Wizards got a little good news before Friday night's game with Detroit when Antawn Jamison, who bruised his right knee in Monday's game in Dallas, said his injury is not quite as bad as originally thought.

"I just got through seeing the doc, and he said everything looks pretty good," Jamison said. "It looks like one of those day-to-day things."

When Jamison, who averaged 21.4 points and a career-high 10.2 rebounds last season. was injured, he said he thought he would be ready for the season opener against New Jersey on Oct. 29.

"I definitely should be ready," Jamison said. "I am aiming to play the last two preseason games."

Haywood injured his wrist during training camp, and it's estimated he will miss 4-to-6 months. Neither he nor Arenas will accompany the team on the trip to Berlin and Barcelona that begins Saturday.

"I've never been through this before," Haywood said. "When I'm healthy, I'll be back out there. Hopefully, it will be sooner than later."

Haywood, a center whose 10.6 points and 7.2 rebounds per game last season were career highs, will be replaced by Etan Thomas, who sat out last season after heart surgery, fourth-year player Andray Blatche and first-round draft choice JaVale McGee.

Coach Eddie Jordan said he tries not to fixate on the spate of injuries.

When asked about it when Haywood and Jamison were hurt, he said he still didn't.

"I don't want to say that," he said. "It's who's next?"

Guard Juan Dixon (sore right calf) and Nick Young (sore left knee) didn't dress for Friday's game.

Jordan thinks Washington has enough left on the roster to make sure they will be competitive without Arenas and Haywood.

"Hopefully, we can hold the fort till they come back," he said.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You posted a lot of stuff that was already on here...

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
I don't see them here, Unless you guys already archived it.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I actually think I just read them on another sire lol

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
I actually think I just read them on another sire lol
The Magic Picked up J-Red's Option for the following year, you think they might include him in the offense a little bit more?

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Magic Picked up J-Red's Option for the following year, you think they might include him in the offense a little bit more?
Maybe a little, but he now has to compete with better SG's so I really think ws just so they can trdae him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%