Rafalski decides to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Heading into the offseason, some thought the Red Wings defence corps would be hurt by a retirement. Not many expected that defenceman to be Brian Rafalski.

While 41-year-old Nicklas Lidstrom ponders his NHL future, sources confirm the 37-year-old Rafalski is retiring with one year remaining on his contract at $6 million.

Because Rafalaski was not yet 35 when he signed as a free agent in 2007, his salary for the upcoming season will not count against the Red Wings' salary cap.

This season, Rafalaski scored four goals and added 44 assists for 48 points in 63 games.

He leaves the game with three Stanley Cup rings, two Olympic silver medals and three NHL All-Star Game appearances.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=366668

Definitely a loss to Detroit's blue line, but the positive side is it frees up six million.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's certainly pretty shitty haha.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Dang. Well, it's his decision. It was nice while it lasted Rafalski. He always seemed to have like a bugged eyed look to him. lol.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I was upset at first when I heard this, but now I am not. Yeah, he was a good defender, but his knee was giving up on him AND he was making $6 million a year. That's another $6 million we can add to our cap to use this offseason. So I'm pumped about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%