Predators Acquire Fisher For 1st Round, Conditional Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
The Ottawa Senators' rebuild is in full swing as Mike Fisher is on his way to the Nashville Predators in exchange for Nashville's first-round pick in the 2011 Entry Draft and a conditional pick in the 2012 Draft.

"We were seeking a top-six forward and Mike Fisher was the player we set our sights on," Predators general manager David Poile said in a statement. "He plays playoff-style hockey all season long. He plays on the power play, kills penalties, is strong on draws and can match up against any opposing line."

The conditions of the 2012 draft pick are as follows. The Senators will receive Nashville's third rounder if the Preds win one playoff round. That pick would then turn into a second-round pick in 2012 if the team wins two or more rounds.

Poile said he felt Fisher's proven ability in the post-season made the deal a no-brainer.

"Mike's playoff experience will be invaluable to our team and he immediately makes our team stronger and deeper," Poile said.

The 30-year-old Fisher has struggled this season with just 14 goals and 10 assists in 55 games but remains a strong two-way threat with great penalty-killing abilities.

Fisher has spent all 10 of his NHL seasons in the Nation's capital and helped lead the Sens to the Stanley Cup final in 2007.

Originally a second round pick, 44th overall by the Senators in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, Fisher has 167 goals and 181 assists in 675 career games.

The Peterborough, Ontario native is married to country music superstar Carrie Underwood so the move to the 'Music City' should fit well with their lifestyle. The Los Angeles Kings were also in the running for the rugged-two way forward.

More to follow…
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353271

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I like this move a lot for Ottawa. They get rid of a struggling overpaid player, and get a first rounder out of it and potentially a second rounder.

Fisher was way over valued in my opinion.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I guess Fisher could be a good asset for Nashville but nice job by Ottawa getting a first round pick, as they are kind of going into rebuilding mode.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You think Nashville balked on giving up a prospect?

I would have taken one over their pick.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
show's how much teams don't care about this year's draft, noway Fisher is worth a 1st rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%