Polamalu: NFL now 'flag football'

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Another reason to love Troy Polamalu, the man goes public with the thoughts that are on all of our minds.

Unhappy finds the number of nefarious infractions that weren't penalized, is complaining the over-the-top enforcement of contact-related rules is taking away what makes the sport so popular.

"It's becoming more and more flag football, two-hand touch," said Polamalu, the Pittsburgh Steelers' four-time Pro Bowl safety. "We've really lost the essence of what real American football is about. They're not really concerned about safety, because people have been doing this for ... quite a few decades."

Polamalu believes that an NFL letter sent to players concerning a 'crack-down' on hits that jeopardize the safety of players will cause defensive personnel to play more hesitant during games.

"You've got to figure out how to tackle people a new way. ... It's too much," says Polamalu.

"These guys really went after people," said Polamalu, who has not been fined this season but has been in the past. "They were that way because the game was physical. Now, they couldn't survive in this type of game. They wouldn't have enough money. They'd be paying fines all the time, and then they'd be suspended for the year after they do it two games in a row. It's kind of ridiculous." -AE

.::MC::.

WeOutHearCuh
Reaction score
"These guys really went after people," said Polamalu, who has not been fined this season but has been in the past. "They were that way because the game was physical. Now, they couldn't survive in this type of game. They wouldn't have enough money. They'd be paying fines all the time, and then they'd be suspended for the year after they do it two games in a row. It's kind of ridiculous." -AE
You forgot to mention that this statement was directed towards hard hitting NFL legends (i.e. Dick "The Night Train" Lane).

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
TP is 100% right. It is redicilous. Does anyone even know why Hines Ward was fined?

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He had knocked a few people on their ass when he was blocking.
Which is illegal since...?
I didn't see one dirty play by Ward that game and I'm glad the Steelers are appealing it, even though it is only 5k.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Breaking News: Roger Goodell has just fined Polamalu $50,000 for unnecessary roughness on his feelings.

.::MC::.

WeOutHearCuh
Reaction score
Which is illegal since...?
I didn't see one dirty play by Ward that game and I'm glad the Steelers are appealing it, even though it is only 5k.
Well, that's just my poor attempt at breaking it down. Apparently he had stepped over a player. And it was 15K all together.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
the penalties have gotten out of hand, celebrating, physical play, all of it.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Celebrating is one thing, hard nosed football is part of the game!

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
They're not really concerned about safety, because people have been doing this for ... quite a few decades."
Uhh, ACTUALLY... they're doing this because people from the past decades of professional football have been diagnosed with serious injuries (mainly due to concussions), that have ruined their lives. They're not doing this for the money.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What Polamalu is saying is they aren't doing this to protect all the players, it's so the big time players like LT, AD, etc. don't get hurt so they still make their money off of those players.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
he makes a good point, that is why they do it. I understand trying to protect their health, but they take it too seriously. And i know celebrating is another thing, but its part of the issue on the fines and penalties.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
There was no reason to fine Ward. Hines just put a few defenders on their butts. And if thats a rule u can't put defenders on thier butt, whats the point of the offensive line?

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
What Polamalu is saying is they aren't doing this to protect all the players, it's so the big time players like LT, AD, etc. don't get hurt so they still make their money off of those players.
Oh alright, true. I get that.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Anybody else think all of this started the day Michael Vick broke his leg in the pre-season?

Just spiraled out of control since.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
Yeah. With whats going on here, little surprised Dawkins didn't get fined for the hit he layed on reggie bush a couple weeks back. It wasn't a dirty hit, but it was a hard hit and that was worse than anything Ward did.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Well, if it was two hand touch maybe the Steelers wouldn't be doing as many cheap shots as they've done in the past but i'm sure they'll find a way around that.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, and maybe you guys will win a game this year.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Yeah, and maybe you guys will win a game this year.
Most likely. Hopefully it'll be this Sunday. Hopefully Jordan Palmer is ready because playing that defense they always seem to go low so hopefully they drafted about ten different quarterbacks this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%