Only a matter of time before Brad Miller's time to depart

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Brad Miller sat beneath the backboard at the Kings' practice facility Wednesday, chatting with veteran Mikki Moore while watching a floor full of youngsters at play.

Even with the previous night's win over the Lakers, the 7-footer wasn't eager to chat with a small group of media. He shrugged as reporters approached, then announced he preferred to do interviews on a monthly basis this season.

"There's all kinds of young guys out here with stories to tell," he groaned. "You don't want to talk to me."

Miller is well aware of the direction the Kings have taken, how his time in Sacramento is nearing an end just as it did for so many of his former teammates. Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic and Mike Bibby among them, the veterans were swapped for younger pieces as the somewhat reluctant rebuilding moved along.

Entering the season, it was widely believed Miller would be retained at least until next summer. He would qualify as an expiring contract at that point, drawing interest not only because of his unique talents but because there was a chance for substantial salary cap room for any team willing to take on the final season of his contract, worth $12.25 million. What's more, Spencer Hawes' inconsistent rookie campaign had left the organization clinging to Miller like a 7-foot security blanket that stabilized the center position.

But with the Kings' woeful record and Hawes' vast improvement, Miller's exit could come sooner than expected. Numerous team sources said the Kings will continue to test the market for Miller leading up to the February trade deadline. The approach, it appears, will be one of high ambition and low motivation; the Kings are far from desperate to move Miller but more than willing to do so soon if the deal comes with enough payoff.

Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie said he feels no urgency to make moves of any kind right now. With the team finally nearing full strength, he remains eager to see what transpires with the current crop before reassessing the situation.

"The roster as a whole, with the exception of (injured shooting guard) Kevin (Martin), is finally relatively healthy, so we'll see if it continues to develop right now," Petrie said Wednesday. "There's nothing really immediately pressing on that front. We talked about blending those young guys in and that's happened, and they've been productive. … I still see (Miller) as a really skilled player who has the potential to be a good mentor and provide some stability as you move along the way."

With a growing list of teams such as Miami, Chicago and Charlotte using undersized centers out of necessity, Miller will draw interest.

"My sense is that he's probably one of the best passing centers in the league," Petrie said. "He's skillful. He can facilitate offense. He's … a smart player. How many of those kinds of guys are there? You look around right now and there are at least three or four teams who are playing with 6-8 centers. Or at least they call them (centers)."

Yet Miller's productivity has been somewhat inconsistent, with his rebounding, blocks and scoring dropping significantly while he plays similar minutes compared to last season (34.9 to 33.3). Miller said he prefers to focus on the plus-minus statistic that gauges the team's fortunes when he is on the floor. By that standard – and using 82games.com's adjusted plus-minus formula, which takes quality of teammates into account – Miller is the 14th most important player in the league to his team with a mark of 6.11. By comparison, Hawes has a mark of 1.84 and veteran forward Mikki Moore a 0.42.

But there isn't a number to quantify frustration. From Miller's ill-timed technical foul in an overtime loss to New Jersey on Nov. 26 to his frequent disinterest in defending the lane, he has been among the guilty as the Kings have struggled.

Entering Friday, the Kings were ranked 26th in opponent's points in the paint (43.5 per game).

"(The losing has) definitely got me down a little bit," Miller said. "There's no denying that. It's tough. Last year we were always in games, and I think it's just tough on everybody losing so many close games where we could – realistically – be at 10 or 11 wins (entering Friday). I think we've had five or six one- or two-point games. Those are the ones that really hurt, and it makes it tough."

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Miami is interested BTW.
They're looking to improve the center position.
Obviously Riley will keep Miller in mind.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I could see him going back to the team that drafted him, Chicago.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I could see him going back to the team that drafted him, Chicago.
Larry Hughes, Thabo Sefolosha, Tyrus Thomas is on the TB right now there.
Very good chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%