NCAA Adds New Wrinkle to Draft Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
One week. At least that's what NCAA legislation determines is enough time.

As expected, the NCAA Division I board of directors Thursday affirmed what the Division I legislative council approved: Players who declare for the NBA draft now will have until May 8 to remove their names and retain college eligibility. Previously, players had until June 15.

David Berst, an NCAA vice president for Division I, said the NBA is moving team tryouts to as early as April 30. So between that date and a week later, players must decide whether to retain college eligibility.

The NCAA, NBA and NBA Players Association have all had input. The issue could yet be re-visited before the 2010 draft.

"That could be accomplished if there's sufficient interest or consensus to get that done," Berst said.

Berst said it was encouraging that all parties were discussing the issue together "instead of operating in a vacuum."

The Atlantic Coast Conference had pushed for a mid-April deadline so coaches would know whether they were losing players and had scholarships available for freshmen or transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%