Monta Can't Play With Curry

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Most everyone came to the Warriors' start of training camp on Monday to hear what forward Stephen Jackson was going to say about that trade demand he made a few weeks back.

But it was Monta Ellis who might have had the most interesting -- and perhaps the most troubling -- thing to say on Day 1.

Ellis was asked a relatively innocuous question about playing alongside rookie Stephen Curry, and responded emphatically that the two smallish guards weren't going to be able to play together.

"Us together? No," Ellis said. "Can't. We just can't. ... Just can't."

Someone then jumped in and said to Ellis: "Do you understand, they (the Warriors and coach Don Nelson) say you can?"

"They say you can?" Ellis repeated. "They say you can ... but you can't. I just want to win and you're not going to win that way."

Nelson had said on Friday that he envisioned Ellis and Curry playing together despite their collective lack of size. Nelson said that the team planned to do a lot of scheming to help Ellis and Curry at the defensive end, but that the Ellis/Curry tandem was going to get a look.

In fact, Nelson had said that the idea to use Jackson more at shooting guard this season, which was his intent at the end of 2008-09, had basically been scrapped.

Ellis made it very clear why he thinks such a backcourt pairing would fail.

"It's different," Ellis said. "When you're trying to compare Stephen and you're trying to go back with me and Baron (Davis) playing. It's a different situation. You've got a nine-year veteran who has been in the game and understands the game and knows how to play the game and he's got a big body.

"You can't put two small guys out there and play the one and the two. You've got big two-guards in the league. You just can't do it. Yes, you're going to move up and down but eventually the game is going to slow down. You can't do it."
Problems-a-brewing in Golden State lol.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's right though. Golden State fans are just excited at the prospect of more up-tempo shoot outs with Curry in the mix. The players themselves actually want to start winning though.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's speaking nothing but the truth. That backcourt wont work out at all.

.loggie

Reaction score
i don't get it. i thought GS offense was based on small ball.

i'd like to know how many times Monta said "can't" in this lol.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I knew that would be bad, they are both undersized shooting guards anyways.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Monta is just stating the obvious. If the Warriors want to run both of them then they're showing they really aren't committed to winning iMO

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
According to someone in his camp, Monta Ellis may soon request that the Warriors trade him.

On media day Monday, Ellis said emphatically that a backcourt tandem of he and Stephen Curry cannot work.
It was bound to happen, I dont think he an the Warriors ever got back on track after last years "scooter incident" and I think I remember him saying before the draft of they drafted a guard he'd want out.

I dont see what the Warriors are doing, their top two players want out and it seems like their just trying to be the most exciting team in the league rather then win.

Should they trade SJax and Monta, they could get alot in return, hopefully they explore the best traes possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%