McDyess will re-sign with Pistons on Dec. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From espn.com
Antonio McDyess has decided to return to the Detroit Pistons.

After mulling interest from 18 NBA teams, including strong bids by Cleveland, Boston, San Antonio and Charlotte, McDyess decided Sunday to return to the team that traded him nearly three weeks ago.

McDyess will re-sign with the Pistons on Dec. 3, after a league-mandated 30-day waiting period expires. He will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2008-09 season.

"It was a very difficult decision for him. He was weighing good offers financially, along with other variables he thought were important," agent Andy Miller told ESPN.com. "But going into the year he had a team goal set, and to not finish up with it, he didn't want to do that. He wants to finish the year, finish what he started in Detroit, then reevaluate after the season is over."

McDyess negotiated a buyout with the Nuggets after they obtained him along with Chauncey Billups and Cheick Samb from Detroit for Allen Iverson.

The Nuggets bought out McDyess for about $6 million of the more than $13 million remaining on his contract, which would have expired next season. In choosing Detroit, McDyess will be leaving more money on the table since the Pistons can only offer their bi-annual $1.9 million salary cap exception, less than half of the midlevel exception of more than $5 million available to teams such as Cleveland.

"He gave up a lot of money," Miller said. "He felt a strong sense of responsibility to finishing out the goal."

McDyess, a 12-year veteran and former U.S. Olympian, had spent the previous four seasons in Detroit, much of it in a sixth man role. He was a starter last season but lost that job to Amir Johnson coming out of training camp under new Pistons coach Michael Curry. He played 19 minutes in each of the Pistons' first two games this season before the Iverson trade went down.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
This day couldn`t come any sooner. We definately miss his presence in the lineup.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I've always hated this rule. Get traded, go back to the team you got traded from? It really shouldn't be allowed. Regardless, a good pick-up by the Pistons, they need him due to their major lack of low-post players.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Agree with CC. I thought at first loseing Dyess wasn't a big deal, but WOW.

Can't wait to get him back.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Big surprise....not. I expected this the second I heard this trade go down.

Was the box score wrong or did AI really only have 9 points their last game??

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pistons have been G*d awful lately, no surprise.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Glad to have him back.
But this don't help our low post D.
We need help, I still like our playoffs chances and the run we could make but still.
I think of it like this, try this one more time we fail then we save our money and maybe go for the lottery next year.. Then we are boderline playoff/lottery again.
BAM!
We have nice young players and a heap of cash, to use on..
NOT LBJ but players like Joe Johnson Amare and other players like them.
That way we could maybe land 2 stars and 2 nice role players and be set for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%