McDyess gives up big money to get out of Denver deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Denver Nuggets made a good deal in reaching an agreement to buyout of Antonio McDyess' contract. A source told the Rocky Mountain News that McDyess, who was due nearly $15 million, will be bought out for about $6 million.

McDyess was acquired last Monday from Detroit (along with Chauncey Billups and Cheikh Samb for Allen Iverson), but didn't want to play for the Nuggets. A source said McDyess, 34, had little leverage. If he didn't want to play for Denver and was unwilling to take a generous buyout, his only other option would have been retirement, and then he would have gotten nothing.

McDyess' agent, Andy Miller, who wouldn't discuss financial arrangements, said the paperwork likely will be finalized Monday. McDyess would then clear waivers Wednesday, and be a free agent able to immediately sign with any team except Detroit. If it's true McDyess wants to return to the Pistons, NBA rules don't allow him to re-sign with them until 30 days after being waived.

The move will get the Nuggets to around $1 million over the luxury-tax threshold of $71.15 million. Prior to the McDyess negotiations, the Nuggets had a payroll of $75.9 million.

Source: Rocky Mountain News

Dr Aj

Reaction score
I don't understand why he didn't want to play there...

He has a lot of market value though.

Macken

GFX Crew Capt
Reaction score
what an idiot.. he should just be happy to have the talent to be in the NBA and not <Censored> bout where he wants to play..

Hoffa

Reaction score
what an idiot.. he should just be happy to have the talent to be in the NBA and not <Censored> bout where he wants to play..
Some people care where they want to play and don't care about money much. That is McDyess he has a family in Detroit loves the city and wants to retire there, so I don't blame him.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
You dont see this enough anymore. Yes, he is happy playing in the NBA, but he is more about where he wants to finish his career and not where he can get the most money. Other players, like Ben Wallace, would rather go for the money than staying with a dominate force of a team.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Some people care where they want to play and don't care about money much. That is McDyess he has a family in Detroit loves the city and wants to retire there, so I don't blame him.
I thought McDyess had family OKC?
They're saying he could slip into OKC..

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hope he comes back, from the look of things we could use em.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
McDyess officially cleared waivers yesterday.

Free to sign anywhere he please, but cannot sign with Pistons until December 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%