Marbury And Walsh Begin Buyout Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Friday's edition of the New York Post reports that Stephon Marbury and Donnie Walsh had 45 minutes of "preliminary discussions" about a contract buyout that would end Marbury's time as a Knick. Marbury does not have an agent and was represented at the meeting by National Basketball Players Association attorney Hal Biagas.

Marbury requested permission to talk with other clubs, a wish that Walsh is expected to grant soon. Marc Berman cites a team source saying that Marbury could be a free-agent in a week.

The Heat and Celtics may have interest in bringing Marbury aboard. But as a condition of granting permission to find a new employer, Walsh may want Marbury to agree that he will not sign with an Eastern Conference team. Marbury reportedly would like to play for the Spurs.

The Knicks would be expected to sign Patrick Ewing Jr. to fill their available roster spot.
LINK

Well I guess it was bound to happen, something had to give in order for a solution. Good to see he wouldnt be going to a team within the conference though, he's bound to burn us everytime we play against him.

On a positive note, Ewing Jr. will be back.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
San Antonio here he comes!

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I cannot wait to see Steph play.
Gonna be crossing foo's up in SA.
Golden State I heard might make a run also.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
he'd play more in SA i think

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
-November 12, 2008

"Who wouldn't want to play for San Antonio?" Marbury told The Post last night. "To play with Tim Duncan, who would complain about that? That's a great organization, they win championships. They have a nice system and I like (Gregg) Popovich as coach. I can play 1 or the 2. If I was a free agent, yeah."

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i would hate to see him go to a team in the same division. i think SA is the realistic destination.

Even though id think he'd do better in Nellie's system but i also want him to win even though SA isnt doing too much of it right now...

.loggie

Reaction score
After being treated like an outcast for the entire season to date, Stephon Marbury is not about to do the New York Knicks any financial favors.

According to the New York Daily News, Marbury reiterated Friday that he is not giving up any of his $21.9 million salary, which is something that chairman James Dolan does not want to do.

When asked about possibly taking less from the Knicks, Marbury said to a reporter, "If I owed you $100 and I said I'm going to give you $80, what would you say?"

According to one team source, Marbury and GM Donnie Walsh have met at least four times since the start of the season but Thursday's sit-down was the first time that Marbury had been accompanied by lawyers.
had to know this was coming. he does make a good point though

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cant blame him for wanting all the money thats owed to him for the way he's been treated this year.

But Dolan's stupid ass will but out Brown, and Thomas but wont buyout Marbury? just give him his money.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ew hoopshype said mavs might in contention to get him to :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%