MapleLeaf @ RipCity32

Status
Not open for further replies.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
MapleLeaf @ RipCity32

TOPIC: What has been the best transaction of the past 5 years? This can include free agency, trades or buyouts. Does NOT include drafting. When discussing trades, you can talk about an individual player deal, or a multi player deal.

MapleLeaf has the right to post first.

You will have a week to exchange posts. If you feel like you're argument is closed, then you can close it, that just means your opponent can continue to debate his point and argue against yours. No maximum or minimum number of points, all depends on how concise or elaborate you want to be.

Once each debater has closed their argument, or I close the debate, then the three judges will be assigning each debater a score out of 10. When scoring, the judges should assess how well the debater has proven their point, using valid and relevant discussion, statistical evidence where appropriate, rebuttal where applicable, and overall coherency.

Judges are allowed to deem the debate a tie, giving each debater the same score out of 10. I am using this scoring system, as opposed to simply voting, as a back up for a tie breaker in the standings.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Interesting question with many different options. You have options like KG, Nash, and Joe Johnson. But I'm gonna go with Steve Nash. First off, everyone knows in the last 5 years he won the MVP twice. And everyone knows his impact on that team and that city. After a season in 2003-2004 where the Suns went 29-53. They acquire Nash, build around him, and boom 62-20. Nash won the next 2 MVP's and is #1 in the NBA in assists since the start of the 2004-2005 season. No PG has made such impact on their team since the Hornets drafting of Chris Paul and the Jason Kidd trade to New Jersey at the early part of this century.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm going with the KG trade.
It won them a title. The Suns deal to get Nash was a good one for sure, but what has it given them? An old PG who hasn't been able to bring them to a title. Yes it got the Suns an MVP, but that's not what the fans or the front office cares about. Winning the title is, and KG brought the Celtics that..

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Steve Nash made the Suns relevant. Before he got their they were a below .500 team.

Even before that offseason the Celtics acquired Ray Allen and Ray Allen and Paul Pierce would have already carried them to the playoffs. We don't even need to bring out the stats because Nash owns him in that category since the move. The Celtics "transaction" was actually acquiring two players in Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett.

Nash won 2 MVP's, has lead the NBA in assists 3 of the last 5 seasons, helped Amare Stoudamire become a force and Shawn Marion a better player. He made everyone around him on that Suns team better.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Steve Nash made the Suns relevant. Before he got their they were a below .500 team.

Even before that offseason the Celtics acquired Ray Allen and Ray Allen and Paul Pierce would have already carried them to the playoffs. We don't even need to bring out the stats because Nash owns him in that category since the move. The Celtics "transaction" was actually acquiring two players in Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett.

Nash won 2 MVP's, has lead the NBA in assists 3 of the last 5 seasons, helped Amare Stoudamire become a force and Shawn Marion a better player. He made everyone around him on that Suns team better.
Ok I understand all you just said, and most of that is true. But how does 2 MVP awards help the team out at all?

Yes Nash made the Suns a legit team. But KG made the Celtics a championship team. Without Garnett, the Celtics wouldn't of won the title last year. Garnett also won the Defensive Player of the Year, in his 1st year in Boston. He made the Celtics the best defensive team in the league, and a defensive oriented team. Probably should of been mentioned for an MVP award too.

I'd take a title, and possible another title, and the DPOTY award over the MVP Award twice.

And yes he did make Marion better, but where is he now? Stoudemire was going to become a force with or without Nash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%