Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lions running back Jahvid Best last played football on October 16, 2011. Some within the organization reportedly fear that will be the last time he ever plays.

Best has a history of concussions. And while some teams had him completely off the draft board in 2010, the Lions traded back into the bottom of round one to get him. It was a calculated risk, with a definite potential reward.

Best’s most recent concussion ended his season, only six days after he rushed for a career-high 163 yards in the team’s first Monday Night Football appearance since the dawn of the Millen era. And while Best has said he’ll “definitely” be back on the field in 2012, Anwar Richardson of MLive.com (via NFL.com) reports that “many within the organization” are concerned that he may not return, ever.

If that happens, it’s unfortunate. But it’s not surprising given the league’s new litigation-influenced sensitivity to concussions. Of all positions, running back is most akin to a giant magnet rolling through a warehouse full of anvils. By virtue of the punishment they routinely absorb, running backs will continue to suffer blows to the head, and every other part of their bodies.
Would suck if true.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
:( would definitely be horrible. Best is one of my favorite lions too.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Damn, that'd be horrible.

Favre4Ever

Reaction score
For Jahvid Best, I think the best thing for him to do would be just to walk away. He's had so many problems that he is seriously risking his life on every play that he is out there. I just hope that he leaves himself a life after football. I hate to see stuff like this happen, but that won't make it go away.

The good news, if there is any, for the Lions... Is that they used another high draft pick on a RB last year. So they may not be as bad off if they just helped Jahvid make the best decision here.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It would suck to see his career end so soon.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Really hope this is not true. :/

TTN2810

Reaction score
That sucks to hear. I like Jahvid, all the way back to his Cal days
For the Lions, hopefully Leshoure can come back form his injury well enough to fill the void.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
well regardless if he comes back or not and even with leshoure, we still need a bit of help there and would need even more if jahvid does hang em up.. which he should really consider. im not for supporting a player if his life is at risk. life>football. idc about the game being his job because at the end of the day its still a game.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Leshoure isn't going to do much, everybody who has a season ending achillies injury loses a step. Its one of the worst injuries to come back from in football and its known to end careers.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
The Barry Sanders curse.

Every relevant Detroit RB gets hurt or underperforms since Barry

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sucks for Jahvid, but he was never that good, imo.
he wasnt the greatest runner, but what the extra dimension he brought to our passing game was great. It allowed Calvin and others to get even less attention then before.

NCSportsfan21

Reaction score
Mike Tolbert's a FA. Grab him and draft a power RB like David Wilson in the 2-3. Or teach Leshoure to catch better.

Xaos

Reaction score
Jahvid took that scary hit at Cal when he was on the ground twitching, I thought his career was over then. He's going to suffer some sort of brain damage at this point anyway, so he should maybe give it one more year. Another concussion, he's gone.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Jahvid took that scary hit at Cal when he was on the ground twitching, I thought his career was over then. He's going to suffer some sort of brain damage at this point anyway, so he should maybe give it one more year. Another concussion, he's gone.
So continue to play with brain damage that you got thanks to football?

Xaos

Reaction score
So continue to play with brain damage that you got thanks to football?

Well I mean he's got the brain damage, but you know players these days. They won't want to quit. So someone needs to say "Alright son, you can give it one more go. Any concussion, you're walking away." type deal. He'll probably develop Alzheimer later in life.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I highly doubt he doesn't give it another try. I feel like this article is just overreacting the whole situation.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Mike Tolbert's a FA. Grab him and draft a power RB like David Wilson in the 2-3. Or teach Leshoure to catch better.
Power back? The guy has been timed in the 40 at 4.29. He's more elusive and fast than power. He just had a fearless and finishes his runs. But he's no power back. The Lions should look into him though, he's the type of back they need. Also, he won't be there in the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%