Livingston signs with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Former first-round draft pick Shaun Livingston will get another chance to make a comeback in the NBA from his gruesome knee injury two years ago.

Livingston signed a multiyear contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder on Tuesday after spending three weeks with their NBA Development League team in Tulsa. The Thunder also recalled rookie D.J. White, who has been working his way back from two jaw surgeries, from the D-League for the second time in eight days.

Livingston has had an extended recovery since tearing three ligaments in his left knee and dislocating his kneecap after a layup attempt in February 2007 with the Los Angeles Clippers. He averaged 9.5 points and six assists in 11 games with Tulsa.

"It's like coming into the league again as a rookie," Livingston said Tuesday. "I've got to prove to myself I can still play."

Livingston joined the Thunder for Tuesday night's game in San Antonio but was inactive.

Livingston will go through his first practice Thursday, and Thunder coach Scott Brooks said he'll have a better idea after Friday's shootaround when Livingston will make his debut. Oklahoma City had just nine games left entering Tuesday.

"I like the future he has," Brooks said. "He's going to help. He's a prospect we obviously like. We want him to get better as much as he wants to get better."

General manager Sam Presti said having Livingston spend time just up the road in Tulsa helped the Thunder evaluate him, and he believes the 6-foot-7 point guard has done what he needs to do so far to make progress on his way back to the NBA. Presti expected Livingston to join Oklahoma City's summer league team to help continue his development leading up to next season.

Livingston came straight out of high school to be the No. 4 overall pick in the 2004 draft. He contributed to the Clippers' 2006 playoff run, when they pushed Phoenix to seven games in a second-round series. The following season, though, brought a major injury.

Livingston had to be carted off the floor after his knee buckled and twisted awkwardly beneath him. An MRI exam the following day showed how seriously he was hurt.

After a year and a half of rehab, Livingston got a chance during training camp with the Miami Heat and made the roster for this season. But he played in only four games over the first two months of the season and was traded to Memphis, which immediately waived him.

Livingston, a 6-foot-7 point guard, has averaged 7.3 points and 4.7 assists in 149 NBA games with the Clippers and Miami.

White, a first-round pick out of Indiana, missed the first five months of the season after surgery to remove a benign growth from his jaw and has yet to make his NBA debut.

He averaged 17.3 points and 9.7 rebounds in three games with the 66ers before being recalled last week, then returned to Tulsa for one more game Sunday, scoring six points with one rebound in 10 minutes.

_roboy

Reaction score
I like Livingston. He would've been good but that injury set him back. Hopefully he can play still..

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hope he can at least get to the point where he can stay on an NBA roster.

I would like to see him overcome the injury and make an "Amare-like" comeback but that may be too much to ask for. I just wish him the best.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He'll never be what a lot thoughthe would be, I never thought he would be a beast or a star or anything. But if he can come back and get back into shape, I think he could turn into a 12 8 and 5 kinda guy.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He had potential to be a magic johnson like player. The injuries killed that. But he can still be a nice role player.

PiStoL31PeTe

Baller For Life
Reaction score
even though it is highly unlikely for him to make a great comeack into the NBA, you never really know what the outcome will be so we'll just have to see over time.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Young just like Rubio, the only reason he could be Magic like was his size(Rubio has the looks to be Pistol)..

He will be a nice role player though, but like I said he could come back to be a 12 5 and 5 player.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i love shaun i always have
i'm glad he's back in the L.
if he becomes solid, they could have the showtime backcourt. magic and byron but with shaun and westbrook. big pg small sg.
i know im getting ahead of myself lol

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
K Deezy at SF and Jeff at PF, they would need a running PF to play C though.
That could be sweet.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
they really should have bit the bullet and kept Tyson

or maybe they can get Jordan Hill out of AU

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If your not a fan of this guy, your not a fan of the NBA.

stavi

Reaction score
He should do fine with the Thunder. I think he will come off the bench this year and next if he stays.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Thunder aren't looking at point guard Shaun Livingston, who they signed this week, as a project.

They believe he can work all the way back from his knee troubles to become a very good NBA player.

"We're not looking at it as a project," said Oklahoma City general manager Sam Presti. "We're looking at it as an opportunity to work with a talented player, someone that continues to have a great focus about getting back to where he wants to be. And we're excited to have him."

Via Oklahoman

_roboy

Reaction score
If Livi can get back on his feet I might have to tag along the Thunder fanbase haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%